Friday, May 22, 2009

Water, glass and the flour mill


I dropped the Trout off early so that he could meet up with his guide for a day on the White River. This is a picture of the raft they are using today. The sun was shining beautifully and it looked like a favorable day for fishing, but I know enough not to say that too loudly. Let's hope for a good remembrance of fishing in Vermont!

My first stop was in the town of Quechee (kwee chee). Now isn't that the cutest name for a small town? The Simon Pearce glass blowing factory was at the top of the list. The glass blower was moving quickly but I was able to snap a picture of him. This stuff was beautiful. The glass was crystal clear, without bubbles and I was very impressed in more ways than one. This glass was so beautiful, it was very expensive. Did find a little something for a remembrance.


Then off to Norwich, to the King Arthur Flour Mills. There were several ovens going at once and hot scones and poppy seed bread was making an appearance for a sampling. I knew what I bought would need to fit into a suitcase, so I was careful but I did find a few wonderful gadgets I have been thinking about. I got some very small pinch bowls of silicone that I can also poach eggs in. That sounds like fun. I also got some Saf yeast which I cannot find in Florida. A couple of nice scrapers and a perfect 2 1/4 yeast teaspoon.
The classrooms were not operating until much later today and I felt that paying $50 for a class on how to make pizza was a little ridiculous, so I spent all my time browsing and figuring out what I can get into a suitcase.


I had a small lunch alone today. I have never been good at going in restaurants alone, but I found a saying on a wooden napkin holder that made the lunch time worthwhile. It was "The cure for anything is salt water--sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesan

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a very nice day. I would have loved to browse through the store at King Arthur Flour and join you for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fun, fun. I love looking at the King Arthur Flour's catalog. I know what you mean about dining alone. You feel like everyone is watching you and feeling sorry for you. They aren't though but you just feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yeast measuring spoon was a real find! Do they sell these online?

    Are you sure that you don't want to bring me along on the rest of your trip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Libby, the yeaswt measuring spoon is online

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there - I found you via Lynda's blog from Tanzania - lovely photos of Maine/New England. I love the lobster pics! I was intrigued by your visit to the glass workshop of Simon Pearce as I think he is the brother of the well-known Irish potter Stephen Pearce. His origins aren't a million miles from me here in Lismore if he is, as Stephen Pearce had a base in Shanagarry near Midleton in Co. Cork. Small world. I will visit your blog again and add you to my followers list. please visit my blog from Ireland.
    All the best, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete