Sunday, May 17, 2009

German Spinach

I grew up loving spinach. It was always grown in abundance in our family garden which my mother and grandmother tended every day. The concept of not liking spinach was not acceptable in my vocabulary. My mother made the best spinach in the world--according to me and my brother.

I made my mother's recipe tonight for the grandboys at their request. My brother's son, Matthew, has gone to Antarctica for many years for his work and has cooked this spinach way down under for the Navy seals and scientists working down there.

Possibly, you will need some time to get acquainted with this recipe, as it is not typical spinach. My mother always called it Deutscher Spinat, so I am sharing a "in the pot" picture and recipe for you.



GERMAN SPINAT ( SPINACH)

1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, packed
3 tablespoons flour
1 small finely chopped onion
1/2 to 3/4 cup beef broth


Melt in a saucepan, the butter and then add the bread crumbs and brown over low heat. Add the flour and onions and brown a little more. Add spinach that has been squeezed dry and mix together well. Add the beef broth and cook up good until it bubbles and let it steam until the spinach is thoroughly cooked. Salt and pepper to taste.

This is a typical recipe from my mother. You may improvise, but it is what it is. We have always loved this spinach and I am partial to enjoying it cold for breakfast, but that is just me. I also love to eat cold pizza for breakfast.



5 comments:

  1. I love old-fashioned recipes. Aren't you delighted to see your grandson's eating a dish your Mom and Grandmother made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds delightful. I will try it soon. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds absolutely wonderful! Easy and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave K.10:03 AM

    Susan, I can recall my grandmother making the spinat when I was growing up. She did work in one of the "kitchens" in Middle and she no doubt got the receipt from the "kitchen boss"! My younger brother just loved it, but I could not get past the look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:01 PM

    My recipe: Fry in 2 T. butter,2 handfuls of fresh spinach coarsely chopped, 3 sliced garden green onions. Then add 5 scrambled eggs salt and pepper and cook together til done. So good. We have our gardens "in."

    ReplyDelete