Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Shakers and the Mainers


Heading East again today, we stopped at a Shaker Village in Canterbury, New Hampshire. I did not know that the Shakers were a break-off group from the Quakers in England. They came to America in the 1700's lead by a woman, Ann Lee. They lived communally like monks and nuns. The men and women lived in separate parts of the house, had separate staircases and only the top female and male elder would speak. They took in orphans and were known for their loving care of children. It is easy to see why the group finally dissolved--there were no families with children to carry on. Very clever and industrious people though.


We walked into the broom shop and once again, I was facing a quote . This one came from the leader, Mother Ann Lee. I thought this was very cute. "Clean your rooms well; for good spirits will not live where there is dirt. There is no dirt in heaven." There you go girls, start cleaning!!


On to Maine and Kennebunkport. We are staying at the Waldo Emerson Inn, a bed and breakfast. It is the oldest house in town, built in 1784. We are in the 'new' section built in the early 1800's. There are 17 rooms and 8 fireplaces. It is absolutely delightful!! Our hosts told us to go to Bentley's for a good meal and treats, so we started off with New England Clam Chowder and Maine Blueberry pie. Both were top notch--delightful!!






Some time later, we found George and Barbara Bush's Maine retreat. They have a beautiful home with probably the best view in town, but certainly not the largest home. By the way, lots of big homes for sale here.





Oh yes, we heard from a good source that a large plane recognized with a name that has a number in it, has been known to pick up Bentley's blueberry pies and fly them to a ranch in Texas during the winter. Need I say more?

We finished the evening with a large lobster roll. After all, we are in Maine. On the road again tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. What a great trip you are on. I would love to travel through New England. I used to live in New York, NJ and Connecticut but never went further north. Your pictures look so yummy. Those lobster rolls made me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad ya'll are having a fun time. The lobster roll and blueberry pie look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do I gain weight when you travel??? LOL HHHHMMMM!!!! that looks delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pie was outstanding, made by the 90 year old lady who owns the place with family. Those small Maine blueberries and not the usual lemon or cinnamon flavoring. Not sure what the recipe would be, but it is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your travels have been so interesting. This post reminds me of my birth place, Massachusetts (I hope I spelt that right :/ )

    I miss all that fresh seafood! Enjoy. We head up to MT in two weeks, just for a quick visit though, then we head up the first of August for a couple of months! YES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a lovely post. I am not too sure about the cleaning though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what I'm more jealous of...the scenery, the history lessons...or the FOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic trip, I have never been there yet! That lobster roll is on my to eat list!

    ReplyDelete