Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My unbreakable habit

I have one weakness that I have not been able to control, and I know that there are many foodies out there that would wag that finger of shame at me. It all started as a young child.



I love lamb! Lamb chops, leg of lamb, lamb kebabs, lamb burgers and just about any other way you can imagine. I always have. Mom would roast legs of lamb when we were young and I know none of my friends were eating lamb at that time. Mom was a restaurant cook and her speciality was meat; cooked, grilled, roasted, just about any way. (Oh yes, she was great with making soups also.) She was a perfectionist when it came to cooking a steak exactly as ordered. She always got it right. I guess that is why we also had lamb. She loved preparing meats. But, she also introduced me to.....mint jelly. That is the only way I have ever eaten lamb. In restaurants, when it does not accompany the lamb, there is usually some sort of mint sauce, so that is enough to content me.



Our herb garden has been doing quite well, and the mint needs to be used before we leave on vacation. So this morning, I made mint jelly. Always wanted to try it and now we have plenty. Lamb chops are on the menu for this weekend, so will give this a try. I feel my larder is now full. "smile"

9 comments:

  1. Why would a foodie do that? A food snob would do that, not a foodie. I'm neither a chef nor a foodie, but I love to cook, am pretty good at it and IMHO your mint jelly is to die for. The color is gorgeous and you can warm it to make a sauce whenever you want. Cudos, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Mary, I do think you are right with the 'food snob' comment. I feel guilty doing it, but now I don't have to sneak the mint jelly into my grocery cart..ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH I love the green! I have never cared for mutton, but is that differant than lamb.. see my lack of knowledge????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love leg of lamb. And the mint jelly brings back memories of my childhood. I grew up eating lamb and my husband and his family never had it and won't even try it. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi, lamb is younger than mutton and milder in taste. Any lamb farmers in the area? You need to learn to appreciate the taste as a child. Can't wait to see you in July!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks SUE! I figured it was somthing like that... but ya dont know till ya ask right? I cant wait till July to see you also!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, Your mint jelly looks so lusciously green! I love lamb chops, but not leg of lamb. Weird. I grew up in Dowagiac near Kalamazoo and we spend winters in Palm Coast Fla. Also retired. Ain't life grand! Seems like I may have told you this before. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny, thanks for stopping by. I am still thinking of your almond puff coffee cake. Must be time to start baking again. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello "Schnitzel"....I'm a huge fan of Lamb too. My Mom use to fix it all the time for our family. I just loved her 'leg of lamb'. Hmmmm...my hubby's not too fond of it so I treat myself in restaurants and lick my chops when I'm finished! LOL

    ReplyDelete