Saturday, February 6, 2010

French Bread

I made French Bread. I have avoided this pleasant task for quite a while, because the Trout and I usually cannot eat a small amount. We love crusty bread and this bread was no exception.

For years I have made baguettes from a recipe I got a long time ago from Williams-Sonoma. This recipe always pleased and the wine group we belonged to in Wisconsin always had French bread when we were tasting wine at our house.

Today I tried a new recipe and technique and I really like it. Thibeault's Table is a blog by Ann. She has the best recipes, many which we have tried, but she is one fantastic bread baker. So today, I made her French bread using her recipe from Julia Child.

The bread has a thick, crust and crackles when you cut into it. This is the way bread should be. You know the kind. The kind of bread that scratches the roof of your mouth because the crust is so crackly. Just love it.

Ann has perfect directions. I had never used my food processor for making the dough, but was pleased at how well it worked.

Check out Ann's blog and try to make this yourself.

15 comments:

  1. Love making bread; never made it in the food processor but I used a brad machime to do the work. sounds very interesting.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a baker myself. However my husband gives it a shot from time to time. He's made French bread using a similar method and it turned out well but it's been a long time. I just bought "Hearty Breads in 5 minutes" that looks interesting. He's also made the no-knead bread from the New York Times.

    Glad your's turned out well. We love bread and can't stop at just one slice. I'll be sure to check out Once Upon a Plate.

    Hope you and the Trout have a nice weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, there is nothing better than a crispy crust bread with wine & cheese. I have made possibly the same William Sonoma recipe with good success, but next time I will try Mari's because your loaf here looks awesome.

    Have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your loaf of french bread is beautiful, Susan. Ann is the consummate bread and pizza baker. All of her recipes are excellent. I'm working on building my bread baking skills and often turn to her for direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, the bread turned out great, but my blogging skills leave something to be desired. I have made corrections above. I referred to another wonderful post even though I hyperlinked the correct post. All is corrected. Now let's see if we can have a better day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, your baguettes are beautiful. Just perfect.

    If you get the chance, make a double batch of dough and after the first rise, knock it down, cover and refrigerate for two or three days. Then let the dough come back to room temperature before shaping. You will be surprised at how the texture, crust and flavour develop. A long cold fermentation also makes for a great pizza crust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Ann. Your pizzas always look so wonderful. You always amaze me..you work and yet you do such wonders in the kitchen. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your bread looks picture pertect Susan. Good Job!

    For me, I'll continue to buy it in the store...not much on baking.

    Hey Pat said that his folks just saw Garrison in Portland a couple of weeks ago. They enjoy his stories and humor since they are all from Minnesotta.

    Have a good super bowl weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love crusty bread and yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks wonderful, Susan. Her's is not the easiest of recipes but it does produce a wonderful crust.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We got a new oven in the kitchen today. Tomorrow I plan to bake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bread looks beautiful. I have been under the weather and am just catching up with you. You have been busy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have added you to the blogs I follow! Your French bread looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure there will be crusty bread in heaven on the feasting table, and none of us will be thinkin' of calories and carbs!! You sure do tempt me next time I make bread I will look this up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, yeh.... this looks great. Off to check out the recipe...

    ReplyDelete