Sunday, February 28, 2010

Strawberry Onion

No, this is not an ordinary onion. This is called a "strawberry onion." In this central part of Florida, land of strawberries, this onion is planted on the edge of the fields to keep bugs and pests away from the precious strawberry crops. These onions, known only as strawberry onions, are then sold at the farmers markets in the area. They are mild, picking up a tantalizing aroma and sweetness from the berries.

They tend to be soft and disintegrate, but we slice them, doctor them with olive oil and kosher salt and pepper and grill them. They are also delightful sliced on a sandwich. A bit pricey, perhaps, $1.50 each, but we enjoy one almost every week during strawberry season.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:06 PM

    The onion looks too cute to cook!

    Lindsey Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of them. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of them either. But they sound good. Bet they are delicious on a sandwich. Can you saute them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great natural way to control bugs and pests. I'll wager they're delightful grilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this. I'd love to try it! I wonder if I can find any here???

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea to protect your strawberries with! I have heard of growing marigolds around your carrots before but never onions round strawberries. I am going to try it this year - thanks Susan.

    PS in Bordeaux they grow the rose at the end of the vines as an early indicator of pests and disease

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this before, Susan. I'll have to check the farmers market when it opens in May.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look pretty big too! Must be delicious when grilled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:53 PM

    Strawberry onions are very sweet and mild and can be used in any fashion including sauteed. They usually can be found at farmer markets in Central Florida around December thru April. It pretty much follows the strawberry season. They are a little expensive but I can tell you they are the best onion you will ever have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them and you can freeze them too! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had these in florida one winter they are great

    ReplyDelete