Friday, February 26, 2010

Just a small town

I was zipping to the small neighboring town for my monthly haircut. I found this place flipping through the yellow pages last fall; liked the small town atmosphere of the salon and I got a good haircut.

As I walk in, memories of walking into a movie theater hit me. Over, seated on the left, was an employee eating a large bag of popcorn. She was thoroughly enjoying it.

Since my beautician was still busy, I made myself comfortable next to the magazine table. The last time I saw so many magazines was at Barnes and Noble, and these were all current. I started flipping through the periodicals and found a great variety of new issues: Bon Appetite, several celebrity mags, motorcycle and outdoor recreations and, what is this? As I flip through, I see it is a lesbian magazine. WOW! I didn't know those existed, but then, I never looked before.

In walks a large man with a floral shirt (it is Florida) and plaid shorts. He is carrying 5 perfect canary yellow roses for the shop owner who will be cutting his hair. He immediately starts begging for popcorn which is provided. I think, to settle him down.

As I remarked of the beautiful color of the roses, I am told this gentleman has an antique/floral shop across the street. I believe there are 2 or 3 antique shops on this street.

Bantering goes on back and forth as there are 6 employees and 5 clients in this small room. Popcorn gals walks up to me and asks, "who wrote 'To Kill a Mockingbird?" As I raise my head out of the magazine, I say "Harper Lee." "Who?" she asks. I repeat my answer. She announces it to the room and everyone cheers...."yes, yes, that's it!" I felt like the heroine of the day.

A local doctor's wife comes in for a color. They start praising her husband who cured a hand rash on the owner earlier in the week. Finally, it's my turn and once again, I am pleased with the cut and style.

Small town, Florida, and I popped in to partake what the slow life is all about. For some reason, I am having a tough time forgetting all these characters. Just thought I 'd share for a change.

14 comments:

  1. How sweet is that? What town was it? I may have to visit it. Thanks for the visual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, there is some truly wonderful about a small town. There is a sense of home wherever you go. AND, usually there are one or twenty crazy characters that give daily humor, too!

    Nice story...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that was neat to hear about the stores and the people....Floridians can be really really nice, It's something about Florida...My heart will always be in South Florida..Have a great day..Lisa...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good hair cut. sounds like fun. just wondering if you actually looked thru the magazine though?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel right mentioning the name of the town. And Ang, the magazine was dropped like a hot potato! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I love it! Thanks for taking us along. lol My husband always says the world needs more 'characters'. He also describes his mother and mine as having been 'characters'. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan I love your view on the small town. I always feel I've gone home. I felt the same way in a small little town in South Carolina. That's what so great about America. Miss you and Dale...
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love small town America. I live in a place just a little larger than what you've described. There's something very comforting about knowing everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been enjoying your blog for weeks now, and don't know if I have commented yet...I really enjoy all your posts - many of our interests are very similar and I think we are the same age. I graduated from high school in 1963. My husband and I lived in Germany from 1973-4 when he was working for the technical university in Stuttgart. His family came to America after the Hungarian Revolution and he wanted to show me where he had grown up and Europe. Most of my ancestors left Germany in the first half of the 1700s, but some are from England, Scotland and France. I love to cook, enjoy nature, read, spend time with children and grandchildren....My husband died more than two years ago after a long illness. But life is still a blessing in each moment of every day. I have a blog too, but none of the ones mentioned in my google profile are active. It's at thickethouse.wordpress. I now check every day whether you have posted anything new.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet thoughts .. just like "Our Town" - which I read too long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is fun to observe all of the bantering, the conversations and laughter that goes on in a beauty salon! How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How charming that is. A day in the life of Susan. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...sounds like a movie of how life should be...am adding this blog to my links

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much personality in small towns, it think part of the reason they can get way with not conforming, and staying unique is that most people in small towns are related and you have to love your relatives. I grew up in a tiny town, my Dad would say when you go look for a husband get outa this county...so I went 1 county over:)

    ReplyDelete