Saturday, February 13, 2010

Do you cocorico?



For several years now, we have owned a cocorico roaster that we purchased from NapaStyle, Michael Chiarello's catalog. We have enjoyed watching his cooking show on television. We have used it several times with mixed emotions.

Directions state that the bird should sit in the roaster with drumsticks up. This just seemed rather awkward, not only for us positioning the bird, but also for the bird. So we usually put the bird on the roaster with the drumsticks down, like popular beer can style roasting.

Yesterday we tried once again with the drumsticks up. The bird roasts beautifully. We had some onions and a whole head of garlic roasting around the bottom with rosemary and garlic stuffed in the cavity.

I like the fact that the bird is not 'sitting' in the drippings as it roasts, but I certainly don't find this roaster a necessity. I'm curious if anyone has a cocorico roaster and if there are other experimental roasting this could be used for. Hmm...looks like a sombrero to me.

13 comments:

  1. Can't say I have:) It does look interesting though. I wonder if you could put a beef roast with a cut in to get it to stay on the tower then wrap in bacon, just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting but as you say not a necessity to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen this kind od pan. I have a metal rack that I sit the chicken and place this in my roastpan; kind of the same idea. If you add fresh gerbs inside the bird as well as under the skin;turns out really good. Haven't used this in ages.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never even heard of such a thing! I am such a gadget junkie, that I have to really wait and see...sometimes I buy things that aren't really necessary...but, this definitely intrigues me. The chicken looks perfectly cooked, by the way. My stomach is growling and it's bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen one of these. It does look like a sombrero! I'd love to try using one!

    Happy Valentine's day to you and Trout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was a chip and dip bowl shaped like a sombrero. Chicken looks might good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The French Cocorico all the time - to be very "cocorico" is a saying, since the rooster is the Gallic symbol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, so cocorico is very French! I just knew it!! There is probably a little French in me, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Valentines Day!

    At first I thought it was a sombrero also..:-)

    I have fixed a cornish hen on that beer thingy you mentioned. It was a mess. This looks good..:-)

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never have, but it looks intriguing. Still, I'm resisting more kitchen equipment!

    Kukurikoo is what Hungarians say a rooster says.....I bet it's pronounced the same way.

    Kristi in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I think that's really spelled "kukuriku".

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...I've never seen or heard of those before. But it looks interesting...and it fits in the oven like that?

    We love chicken and yours looks yummy.

    Have a fun day today, hope your doing something romantic.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:14 AM

    I don't have one but seen it used today on local news channel with a loin roast (boneless). check : http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/mornings/weekend/chef-of-the-year%2C-mark-dixon-visits-fox-2

    Bert
    rthawk10@aol.com

    ReplyDelete