Sunday, February 7, 2010

German Dinner


Does it happen to you like it does to me? Every once in a while, you need to eat a "home-cooked" meal like mom used to cook. Since we tightened our belts the beginning of the year and cut down on a lot of eating, the only thought that kept running through my mind was, "I want to eat German!"

Well, since we are home today without any Super Bowl partying, I thought this day was perfect. But, where were you? We had more than enough and it tasted so wonderful. Yes, we ate too much, but gosh, it tasted so great.

I was encouraged by Debby of Feast for the Eyes into making a pork roast with caramelized onions. I had never copied down the family recipe, so I used Debby's recipe and it was right on!!

We also had German Red Cabbage which I posted before here, and in addition I made Spaetzle.

SPAETZLE

3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
3 eggs, beaten

Mix this dough together and let sit for an hour or so. Boil 3-4 quarts of salted water. A spaetzle maker is the best tool to use, but if you do not have one, as you tip the bowl and let the dough slowly drop from the edge, cut the dough into small pieces and let drop into the boiling water.

Let the dumplings boil 2 to 3 minutes and they will rise to the top of the water. Remove with a wire skimmer and drain. Put in a serving dish and top with browned bread crumbs.

We always browned 4 tablespoons butter and added 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs and browned slowly. This was then placed on top of the spaetzle for a typical German garnish.

So, yes, we have left-overs, but won't they taste good? The rest of the week will be "slim pickin's" around here, but himmel, bimmel, it tasted so good today.

17 comments:

  1. All sounds pretty delicious to me. Its great to cook up big feast now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love German food! Use to make Spaetzle, been a long time and tat read cabbage. I used to make rouladen to complet the meal; thanks for the memories.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is my kind of dinner. Spaetzle is a family favourite as is red cabbage. Perfect accompaniment to your roast pork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW !!! Does that ever look good !!! I have not had German food for years. My friends Grandma use to make the best German food for us to feast on...... just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn, I'm so sorry I missed dinner. It would have been grand to sit at your table with you and The Trout to enjoy this wonderful meal. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave K.8:05 AM

    Susan, my Oma Johanna used to cook this meal and it was so delicious! All the Kolony omas must have gotten all of these German recipes from working in the kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so good. German food reminds me of a time I lived in Kansas and would have similar food cooked by the Mennonites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pork, red cabbage, spaetzle... does it get any better than that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spaetzle is a favorite of mine. I've never invested in a proper spaetzle maker but use the large holes of a box grater to drop mine into simmering liquid. The only problem with this post, Susan, is that you've succeed in making me very hungry. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love these these recipes. Mine are slightly different, but I'll try your versions. My son in law is Bavarian and my husband was from Hungary with a lot of German in both our family trees. I have a great spaetzle maker I got as a wedding gift in '72.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds wonderful! Love German food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pork roast and red cabbage are my favorite eats. I have never made spaetzle before, but will give it a try sometime. What a wonderful meal you made!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't had a good German meal in I don't know when. Pork with spaetzle and red cabbage sounds divine. My grandfather was German.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Susan,
    nice that you taste the German courts - where have you been living here in Germany? You show us so wonderful photos from Elsass.
    All the best wishes - Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love spaetzle! Lived in Heidelberg for four years and fell in love with the country and its beautiful people! Glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do enjoy your blog, Susan. Some great recipes and your photos are excellent. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How in the world did I miss this? I saw this, as I was drooling over your asparagus recipe. This comes a bit late, but Danke Schoen! I'm so glad that my recipe worked for you, because I tend to cook from memory, without a recipe. I take this as a very sincere compliment!

    ReplyDelete