Thursday, July 16, 2009

Our Yellowstone visit


This view is so magnificent, in Big Sky, Montana, the Soldier's Chapel with Lone Mountain Peak in the background.
Close, but I only got the tail end of the elk grazing near the water. Beautiful, large animals.


Old Faithful erupting, 07-16-09


Every 90 minutes or so, Old Faithful with erupt and I only had to wait 15 minutes.



A stern warning, but rightly so. This water is boiling!!



Hot boiling water and the sulfur makes it smell like rotten eggs.

Ever since I was a young girl in probably third or fourth grade, Old Faithful has fascinated me. I read as much as I could in encyclopedias about this wonderful national park, knowing in my heart, I would never be able to see it as a child.

My first visit was sometime in the 1980's. My log book is not with me at this time, and well, you know what happens to memory!! I was totally mesmerized by the entire park. Much more fun than walking into a candy store. I have made several trips back since then, but Old Faithful still is true to me and always performs outstandingly.

On another note, that first visit to Yellowstone, the Trout and I hiked into Slough Creek so he could do some flyfishing. He was biting at the bit, as usual, to get the rod casting into the streams and creeks and start catching trout. We hiked 3 or 4 miles in and thought it was odd, that on such a beautiful warm, sunny day, we weren't meeting any other hikers. He caught some dandy fish, we thoroughly enjoy the day and the privacy of being alone and undisturbed in such a gorgeous wilderness. We walked out the same way we walked in, though I recall it was a lot downhill which is almost worse than going uphill. The altitude out here is also way over 7000 feet, so we were puffing (but so much younger). As we reached the parking lot where we left the car, we noticed a sign saying that no one should go into Slough Creek because a lady ranger was killed by a grizzly the day before. MOUTH DROPS OPEN! No wonder we were alone. We had not read the sign. Luck was with us again.

12 comments:

  1. Dave K.4:04 PM

    Beautiful pictures, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe my 1st visit to the Park in the late 80's with 2 fishing pals - we heard the bull elk bugling like hell with curled lips behind 10-12 cows who had no interest what so ever for the boys yet!! Us boys know that feeling!!

    I have been back several times to search for the wily trout and enjoy the grandeur of the wildlife (even a close encounter with MR GRIZ) and the beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful photo's!

    I have always wanted to visit there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that maybe it was more than luck:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww love it!!! We are counting the days.... 107 down here in Cali today Susan...blaaaaaaa!!

    I work at the shop in P-Burg (Wild Rose Design Company) on the 12th, 13, 14th, and 15th of Aug. Hope to see you one of those days. The store hours are 11 am - 4 pm.

    Have fun, I'm right behind ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will make sure I am in P-burg one of those days! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:07 AM

    Old Faithful truly is so. How old is it? The bear story is scary!! I heard that someone journalized in their blog and they were contacted to make a mini-series out of the blog stories! What do you think? What do your readers think? You and Trout, prepare!! cdz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, cdz! Good to hear from you. Miss you and wish you were here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gloria9:35 AM

    Gary and I recently had a "failing to read a sign properly" moment that cost us a $33 parking ticket, but your sign was a bit more urgent. Guess we all just had a big wake-up call about that. Continue to enjoy and be safe-----please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How ovely with the church in front of the mountain.
    The geishirs remind me of Iceand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! Glad you made it out safely!

    Yellowstone is one of my most favorite places! I really want to take my kids to see it! It's just breathtaking around that area!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you were really lucky. How frightening to see the sign as you were leaving.

    We visited this area a couple of years ago and stayed with friends in Island Park, Idaho whose home was on a gorgeous trout stream. My husband had a great time fishing. I know Trout much have had a ball there. It's a little bit of heaven on earth. However, moose sleep on our friends porch in the winter to escape the snow drifts. Better to enjoy it in the summer.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete