Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Historic Montana Bar




After driving 12 hours yesterday, we stopped overnight in Miles City, Montana. On National Public Radio on the drive, we heard about this 100 year old bar that is worth seeing. As we got off our horses and slapped the dust off of our chaps, we noticed the Montana Bar was full of cowboys. So, the Trout and I mosied up to the brass rail on the bar and ordered two Bloody Mary's to wash the dust out of our throats. I immediately started choking as the pepper in the "Mary" was a big surprise.

We then looked around and everyone was looking at us since we were 'not from here'. One old cowgal started telling us the history of the bar and then a cowboy told us to have a seat and we learned a lot more. I was reading the brochure when I read that the men's room has a unique porcelain urinal and a marble-walled stall. The cowboy said I could go in to see it, but I told the Trout to just go and take a picture.
Looks like the floor has not been cleaned in 100 years either.

The longhorn steer in the middle was from the early 1900 trail drives from Texas to Montana. The beautiful wooden back bar arrived in Montana from St. Louis in about 1913. This was quite a unique experience. There truly are real cowboys in Montana and each of them has a story to tell.

12 comments:

  1. How cool! the picture of the toity makes me want to put on my rubber gloves, grab my scrub brush and my spray bottle of "The Works" - then spray that sucker and scrub till it shines... LOL If we ever get to Montana, we're gonna have to stop there! How much farther till your where you are going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan - I'm having a wonderful time riding along with you on your road trip. I've always wanted to drive through Montana but it isn't on my way anywhere and I don't know anybody there so probably will have to enjoy it through you.

    I would like all the wide open spaces. When I drive through the High Desert country of Central Oregon I too wonder how the pioneers ever made it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how interesting. I love to stop in places like that. We discovered a similar place in a little town called Meeteetsee about 20 miles out of Cody, WY a couple of years ago. We're going back again this summer. I'm enjoying your trip also and wishing I was on our vacation already. But only 2 weeks to go and we'll be on our way. Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, what is the name of the bar - we'd love to stop as we're going through Miles City on our way home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave K.8:06 AM

    Beautiful bar, Susan! It reminds me of the one we recently saw in Tombstone, AZ. You mean you only ordered two Bloody Mary's! LOL!! Hmm, that urinal certainly does not offer any privacy! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gloria8:48 AM

    I am happy to be "On the Road Again" with you two. Happy Trails to You! (You do remember that song, don't you?????)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thing you didn't see the bathroom before you ate :-). It sounds like your having a wonderful time on the way to Minn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, the bar is called Montana Bar in Miles City, MT and is located at 612 Main Street. I don't think you can miss it. It is worth a visit (lots and lots of smoking patrons though...ugh)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to visit Montana! That bar is really neat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The thing about bars is that you have enuf drinks not to notice how dirty the crapper, I mean urinal, I mean floor is. I really don't know anything at all about that.

    NO HEIDI NO good milkmaids do not clean public potties, it would be dirty by morning and who knows what contagion you'd bring to the Milk Dud, just sayin. Yeah I knew you were teasin... if you have that much time on your hands you better get busy and make that baby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, I'M TRYING!!! LOL
    Sorry Sue - your comments may become x rated shortly!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Very interesting. What vehicles were parked in front or horses? Remember the old westerns the the hitching posts? Doesn't MT have the no smoking law for their establishments?" cdz

    ReplyDelete