Friday, January 30, 2009

My good friend

In all my years, I have experienced many thrills. But when it comes right down to it, the greatest gift or thrill is a true friend and I have that with my friend, Connie. We grew up in the same town, were in Kindergarten and graduated high school together. She was actually my maid of honor at my wedding. We raised families and were not in touch frequently for a few years, but now as we have come to those special years, we are reaching out again and it feels very, very good. I never had a sister and neither did she, so maybe this is our compensation.

Tonight, Connie and I Skyped each other and it is so much better than a phone call. You can see your friend's face and expressions and know where they are coming from. Even several years ago, I could never have imagined connecting with someone with such technology.

Today it was announced that the US postal service will possibly cut delivery to 5 days a week. Thinking about it, I rarely write letters anymore. I e-mail because it is quick and certain and easier. I don't think that will make much of a difference for me. Our bills are paid with the assistance of the computer and it seems 90% of the mail we receive goes immediately into the rectangular file.

Connie and I can keep in touch with our computers on a daily basis. I can only imagine what our grandchildren will be doing in 20 years. Our country is amazing. I really love this technology, and I know some friends have not yet accepted this approach to keeping in touch. Perhaps they will someday, perhaps not. But as for me and Connie, this is a good thing and we are getting closer because of it.


5 comments:

  1. Old friends are treasures to be polished and shined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the computer and blogs and Skype but I wonder sometimes if it doesn't cut down on face to face interactions. I had my husband's son and girlfriend over for dinner the other night and the son sat at the table and ate his dinner with his IPhone by his plate and never said a word to any of us. All I heard him say was hello and goodbye. I think his girlfriend was ticked too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trout says he likes the computer as well to better keep in touch - especially being able to see Grandkids and family. Glad the Mrs can keep in touch with great friends - hope more gets Skype

    Linda-- a great friend of mine is a house husband who prepares a nice evening meal for his highly successful working wife. She gets calls etc from all over the world at all hours - THEY have agreed that for atleast a couple of hours around the dinner time, all phones etc are off so they can talk with being interrupted - Great Idea - we usally will let the answering machine talk for us when the phone rings at dinner time also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:09 PM

    Yes, I agree, Schnitzel. This new technology is wonderful and is bringing us closer together--not separating us. Without it I would never have connected with wonderful friends from the past. rw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:23 AM

    Thanks Sus. Purple and white and dynamite. Brownies and pizza. Loves and Hugs, Hitherto always.
    czb

    ReplyDelete