Sunday, February 20, 2011

Salzburger Nockerl

Aside from the apple studel, Topfenstrudel and Kaiserschmarrn, the Salzburger Nockerl is the most famous and legendary dessert of Austria. 

It is said that the "Nockerl" was invented by Salome Alt, the concubine of Salzburg's Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raintenau in the early 17th century.  It is supposed to resemble the mountains of Salzburg.

We were in Austria in 1991.  The Trout found a guide who took him fly fishing in a most beautiful area of the country.  Unfortunately, the time was short as the mountain snows started melting in the late morning and the blue colored water washed down the mountain and into the streams and  the fishing was over. 

It was also before I realized that my paternal grandmother's ancestors came from an area of Austria called Spittal.  We were there.  But, it was many years later before I realized that my ancestors had also been there.  Such a missed opportunity.  I do remember the beautiful landscapes, the mountains, the food.  We must go back.  We must.

While in Austria, we dined beautifully on the typical food of the area.  This dessert, Salzburger Nockerl has always lingered on my mind.  I made it many years ago, shortly after returning from Austria, but it wasn't until this week that I remembered it.  All the ingredients were in the kitchen.  It just had to be.

You will find that this is a rather simple dessert, not too difficult to put together, but it does need to be served immediately after coming out of the oven.  It is light, very flavorful and puts on quite a show by itself. 

Salzburger Nockerl

serves 2 persons

6 egg whites (room temperature)
4 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 whole lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For a 10 inch oval skillet

1 oz. butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons raspberry jam

powdered sugar

Heat oven to 450 degrees

Instead of a skillet, I heated the butter, cream and raspberry jam in the microwave.  Then spread it into the bottom of a casserole dish.

Beat the egg whites until stiff and gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar while the mixer is running.  Then add the vanilla extract. 

Remove the mixing bowl and fold in by hand with a wire whisk the egg yolks, flour and lemon zest.  Mix as little as possible.

With spatula, form four individual peaks, one at a time (the mountains of Austria) and place into the casserole with the raspberry mixture.

Bake in a hot oven, 450 degrees for 9 to 10 minutes.  Nockerl should be soft in the center and browned on the top. 

Remove from the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve at once.

10 comments:

  1. Ohhh....this does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good and I love the "mountains" idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like one of those lovely 'comfort' food desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering!!!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an unusual dessert. Hope you get a chance to go back to Austria. I think I will try your salmon recipe this week. We seem to be eating similar foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to come here and learn abaou these new(for me) recipes. Very original but sounds really good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm humming the tune "Salzburger Nockerl" as I see this. My parents were married in Salzburg, and my family lives just across the border. I've had this in Austria, and would you believe I was just thinking of this dessert, yesterday?! It's true! You've inspired me to try making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debby, like your thoughts!!! Really, you were thinking of the Nockerl yesterday? WOW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun one to try, and that is a recipe from some place else in this world makes it even more fun. I think I should watch The Sound of Music and make this ;) We have snow on the hills and bluffs so it would fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Susan - I will be trying the Salzburger Nockerl, I love the connection to the mountains. I do hope you get to go back to Spittal . . . and tell us all about it!

    ReplyDelete