Friday, February 18, 2011

Quinoa Pilaf

Since we started eating quinoa a couple of years ago, I have often added it as a side or salad to our meals.  In our newspaper yesterday, four new recipes appeared and I quickly knew I wanted to try the Quinoa Pilaf with Lemon and Thyme.  I hope to try the other three soon, because they sounded just as tasty.

Quinoa is the perfect protein, gluten free and just tastes great.  You can do with quinoa as you do with rice.  It just works as a salad, stuffing, pilaf, even mixed with ground turkey to make burgers.  How about Quinoa, Apricot and Nut clusters?  That might be on my list next.

I have jars of the white and red quinoa and quite often mix them for the beauty of it. 

Quinoa Pilaf with Lemon and Thyme

1 onion. minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and dried on a towel
1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, basil, cilantro or scallions 
(I used cilantro because it is growing so quickly, it will soon be invading the house)

Combine the onion, oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in large saucepan.  Cover and cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until the onion has softened, about 8 minutes.

Stir in the quinoa, increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the quinoa is lightly toasted and aromatic, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the broth, lemon zest and thyme and bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the quinoa is transparent and tender, 16-18 minutes.

Remove from heat and let sit, covered for 10 minutes.  The fluff with a fork, stir in lemon juice and fresh parsley or herbs.  Season with salt and pepper.

Per 3/4 cup serving 170 calories, 3.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 30 g carbs, 6 g protein, 4 g fiber and 220 mg sodium. 

12 comments:

  1. We love quinoa and I use both colors, but never have mixed them. thanks for the good idea. I'm making a large vegetarian quinoa salad to bring to a family birthday party this weekend, and I think I will mix them for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say that I cook it in my rice cooker, the same way I do rice, and it comes out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious and I'm sure it would go lovely with my porkloin for Sunday! And I have everything! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We discovered the "joys" of quinoa a few years ago and I keep it on hand. I've made a really good chili from the red. This recipe sounds delicious and all the ingredients are on hand!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do make some interesting things, encourages me to expand my horizons and pass along this recipe to my cousin who is glut free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen Quinoa here but perhaps I should look in the health shops as you say it is gluten free. Will make a note to check it out. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still trying to get up the courage to try the bag of quinoa that my daughter bought - I'll just keep on collecting recipes while I wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love quinoa and your pilaff recipe is a keeper; thank you. It is considered the perfect super food.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't do enough with quinoa. Mainly because recipes for its use are so scarce. Yours helps a lot and will be tried. I love the mix of colors in your pilaf and the ease with which it can be made. Have a great weekend, Susan. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some quinoa in the pantry and have never used it! I think I'm kind of intimidated by it for some reason. I'll make your recipe to get my feet wet :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always looking for new ways to serve quinoa, thanks for what looks like a delicious way to serve quinoa!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just catching up on my blog reading after being gone for the weekend and all three of these recipes are very tempting. I love quinoa and Evan loves scallops... we are both dessert addicts, though we are trying to convince ourselves to show some restraint for awhile.

    I hope you do have an opportunity to return to Spittal one day; but, if you don't, seems it was fortuitous that you were there before. Thank you for the new recipes and wine suggestion.

    ReplyDelete