Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Oh, oh, oh.....

I LOVE salmon.  We LOVE salmon.  We usually marinate for 30 minutes and grill it.  The January-February issue of Cook's Illustrated  had a section on "Better Glazed Salmon."  Several different glazes were suggested, but when we saw the "Asian Barbeque Sauce" we knew we had a winner. 

As The Trout put together the ingredients and they started bubbling on the stove, I KNEW this would be great!!  We absolutely loved it and as we ate our glazed salmon, I kept babbling about how great this would taste on chicken thighs, chicken breast, pork...you name it.  This sauce is so tasty.  We loved it.

We had a sliced cucumber with sesame oil, Kosher salt and ground pepper on the side.  The perfect cooling accompaniment. 

Try this sauce and if you are lucky enough to have the copy of the January-February Cook's Illustrated  be sure to try the Soy-Mustard glaze, the Pomegranate-Balsamic glaze and the Orange-Miso glaze also on this page.

Asian Barbeque Sauce

2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons Asian Chili-garlic sauce
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

Whisk ingredients together in small saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.

In the last few minutes of grilling our salmon, this beautiful sauce was brushed onto the salmon.  It glazed on beautifully, and there was some sauce left to put on the salmon at the table. 

We always have the Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce in the refrigerator.  My friend in Montana calls it the Rooster Sauce since there is a picture of a rooster on the bottle. This is the best in our estimation and we rarely are without it.  At this point, I will also add that we have a Norwegian and German background and no, we do NOT add 2 teaspoons....perhaps 3/4 of a teaspoon.  That is hot enough for us without spoiling the flavor of the salmon.  Feel free to pour it on if you love it.  This sauce is wonderful. 

10 comments:

  1. My mouth was watering as I read your description! Thank you for sharing, now I'm going to get off this darn computer and make dinner! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, we both cooked salmon! lol but I must say yours sound wunderbar. ;) I'm going to the kitchen now to see if I have that issue. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love salmon, and because we live on the coast we can usually find it big and fresh! I didn't buy the Jan/Feb Cooks Illustrated, but I think my son might have and I can get the other recipes, if the magazine's still not in the shops when I look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also love salmon but they sell mostly farmed salmon here. The wild salmon tastes so much better. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love salmon too. Looks like I better put the hot chili sauce on my grocery list.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Evan loves the "Rooster Sauce", too! LOL! This glaze does look delectable on that salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We alos love salmon; this recipe must really bring the taste up;I have to try and find that garlic sauce.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're actually having grilled salmon tonight because it's mild enough to grill outside! This sauce sounds amazing and I think I might have the ingredients in my pantry to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter and I love salmon. What a delicious sauce! We have this Rooster Sauce too. It is so darn spicy!! I'd go with the 3/4 tsp too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the kick that hot sauce gives to a dish and I've learned the hard way not to be heavy handed with it. Thanks for sharing the Asian BBQ sauce, Susan. I can think of many uses for this flavor packed condiment.

    ReplyDelete