Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cream Cheese and Raspberry Truffle Brownies

Years ago when The Trout was still working, I used to bake 4 or 5 varieties of brownies on his birthday and send a large box of them to work with him.  They always were well accepted and almost expected after several years. 

I will be the first to admit that I have not baked these two favorites in a very long time.  We just rarely eat sweets, but last night my neighbor had a birthday so we invited just the immediate friends in our neighborhood over for the Dulce de Leche ice cream and these brownies. 

Both recipes come from a 1994 "Country Woman" magazine.  If you are wanting very tasty brownies, these are simple to put together.  Don't buy that box stuff.  You just don't know what's in it!

Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
(in the foreground of photo)

1 package (4 ounces) German sweet chocolate
3 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

FILLING:

2 tablespoons butter
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring frequently.  Set aside.  In a bowl, beat the eggs.  Gradually add sugar, beating until thick.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt and add to egg mixture.  Stir in melted chocolate and extracts.

Pour half the batter into a greased 8 inch square baking pan and set aside.

For filling, beat butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl until light.  Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy.  Blend in egg, flour and vanilla and mix well.

Spread over batter in pan.  Dollop remaining batter over filling.  With a knife, cut through batter to create a marble effect.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until brownies test done.  Cool.  Store in refrigerator.  Yield:  about 2 dozen


Raspberry Truffle Brownies

1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour

FILLING:

1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup seedless red raspberry jam

GLAZE:

1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening

In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate chips over low heat.  Cool slightly.  In a large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar.  Dissolve coffee crystals in water and add to egg mixture with melted chocolate.  Mix well.

Combine baking powder and flour and stir into chocolate mixture.  Spread in a greased 9 inch square baking pan.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until brownies test done.  Cool.

For filling:  Melt chocolate chips, cool.  In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.  Add confectioners' sugar and jam.  Stir in melted chocolate and spread over cool brownies.

For glaze:  Melt chocolates chips and shortening,  Drizzle over the filling.  Chill before cutting.  Store in the refrigerator.  Makes about 5 dozen, depending on the size you cut.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - I think I gained 5 lbs. just reading those recipes. I'm going to try them this weekend when I bake something tasty for the Super Bowl. Thanks for the increase waistline (chuckle).

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks amazing. Like you I rarely bake except when my kids come to visit. Browies was always a favourite and so fast to make. Those guys must have been thrilled when you sent them your box of brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy these look so good. I am just wondering what they may do to my bathroom scales :(((( Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I certainly wish I lived in your immediate neighborhood! I've rarely met a brownie I didn't like and these two look like winners. Alas, I'm missing at least one ingredient in each recipe. I've already pulled out the ingredients to make the brownie recipe from The Joy Of Cooking. It is so simple that one wonders how the boxed mixes every came into existence.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brownies are beautiful Susan. No wonder they were so well received. We don't eat many sweet anymore either.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always reach for the brownie on the cookie tray - and I'm always so disappointed if it's a store-bought brownie. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think just about everyone loves brownies. I don't make brownies... I'd eat every last one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, we don't eat sweets either, but I might have to make a batch of those Raspberry Truffle Brownies. I'm sure they would freeze nicely, and every once in a while when we are having a nice Merlot, how can I not think of chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve & Dave3:29 PM

    They look delicious! Can we put in an order now for when we visit you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am drooling on my keyboard. Wish I had one (or two) of these to go with my morning coffee. Thank you for the new variations on The Brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love having a special occasion so I can bake treats such as this. The recipes sounds wonderful and I wish I could grab a bite of each one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice treat for him on his birthday! Nick is always away in Bordeaux at En Primeur for his . . . but this year the dates have changed so we have him home for once! I might just surprise him with some of these brownies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, Happy Belated Birthday! And what a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need a sweet for tomorrow so your raspberry truffle brownies are perfect. I know these treats will please everybody.

    Have a great weekend, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm drooling over these! Love the raspberry chocolate combo! Happy Belated Birthday to you, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Susan,
    thanks very much for recipe - I love sweets -
    nice evening - Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  17. They do look delicious and yummy. I won't copy your recipes though as I have a stack of new ones to try sometime. Should really sort them and throw half away as I have a shelf full of recipe books.

    ReplyDelete