Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rancho Gordo beans

I have been doing a lot of reading of foodie blogs and other items in newspapers and magazines regarding foods and food trends. Not too long ago, I came across an article regarding Rancho Gordo beans out of California. They have a beautiful website with lots of products including heirloom beans. They cooperate with farmers in Mexico who grow these heirloom beans and therefore help keep the small Mexican farmers in business.

Our order arrived last week and we decided on three different beans. The Rio Zape bean is described as having hints of chocolate and coffee and best with great Mexican food or as a pot bean with a squeeze of lime.

The Flageolet is a creamy, dense heirloom bean that stays whole yet soft when cooked. Ideal with roasted tomatoes, with lamb or fish or in a cassoulet.

Today we had the Sangre de Toro. This is a very small bean and for our first try, I wanted to get the total bean essence. We sauteed celery, onion and garlic and added the soaked beans with their liquid and cooked for a couple of hours.


These beans tasted so unlike any others we have ever had. The beans are a little pricey, $5.95 for a pound, but it is pure protein you are serving which seems rather reasonable. We are looking forward to trying the other beans.

If you are interested in learning more about this company and their products, check out the website for Rancho Gordo and learn what is available.

12 comments:

  1. Susan, thanks for the tip about this bean source. There are so many wonderful recipes that call for beans, yet it is hard to find a variety at most grocers . I am particularly intrigued with the Rio Zape bean, with its chocolate - coffee taste.

    A terrific post, many thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was browsing their web site just the other day and wondering about their Rio Zape beans. I've read about how great their beans are on other blogs also. Thanks for the info, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you have any meat with these beans or did you add any to cook them with? They look kinda like a light kidney bean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, thanks for the heads-up. I'm heading to their site as we speak - so to speak :-). Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan!

    I was wondering if you ever got your door kocker... the one with a hand wearing a ring...:-) I love that!!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I am hoping to pick up a doorknocker in May, while we are on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great blog you have! Jsut spotted you at Laura's Paris. Your article on bean is so intersting. I am not very knowledgable about beans, but eager to learn.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love beans at our house and the idea of heirloom ones sounds fabulous. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love beans but for that much they had better be extra special! Looking forward to the bean reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The French have flageolet beens with lamb. I cooked some last week with a lamb shoulder braised with garlic .. mmm they were delicious!
    Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think beans are so pretty! I know...I'm strange! I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for quality like this. Thanks for the information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will check this out. It encourages me to think more about heirlooms, who knew on could learn so much about beans!

    ReplyDelete