Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Well, finally!


This posting is for my children. I can bake bread, and most of the time it is outstanding. Dinner rolls have always been tricky for me. Hard, dry and hockey puck-like. Sorry, but I have tried. But, since I found Debby at A Feast for the Eyes , I have actually accomplished something.

Take a look at these rolls. Debby gives the recipe of the Pioneer Woman who uses frozen bread dough. That sounded simple enough. Then Debby gave her own recipe and it sounded great. I made these with a cup of whole wheat flour in addition to the white flour. I think the instant yeast I bought at King Arthur Flour this spring has something to do with it also. The recipe says it makes 9 rolls, but I got 12 large rolls. They also fit beautifully into my new cast iron skillet. I have been wanting this size skillet for quite a while and have used it a lot since.

So girls, this one is a keeper and I hope you can visit and partake of these fabulous dinner rolls very soon.

8 comments:

  1. Oh! Thank you so much for the shout. "Ya done me proud"! Seriously, you made these rolls look perfectly golden. Aren't they easy?
    I love this recipe.
    Sometime-- try sprinkling rosemary and a little bit of sea salt on top... wow!
    I'm making these tomorrow for Turkey Day as well. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, thanks Debby. I debated the sea salt and rosemary, but since they were for Thanksgiving turkey and leftover sandwiches, I decided to go plain. That was a hard decision since I have gorgeous rosemary growing in the garden. Next time, and there will be a next time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Susa. They do look perfect. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know one of my dear wife's best traits of which there are many is to never give up and do the best you can no matter what the task!! She has the great desire to do the best she can no matter what the task! Like tomorrow's feast for just the 2 of us!! It will be perfect I know and I appreciate her need to do it right!! I benefit most of all!!!

    thats another lesson for you girls from your mom!!! Trout

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tried to bake rolls. Those look so yummy! I've got my butter ready! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Susan! Oh, how I love a good roll with meals like Thanksgiving. I don't know what it is, but a good roll just seems to bring it all together.

    These rolls are magnificent! I can almost taste the butter melting into their warm golden goodness.

    Susan, I hope you have a wonderful & blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother always made rolls or cornbread for every evening meal. I don't but I also think I should, just because it makes the meal complete. You've brought back wonderful memories for me.

    Hope you and the Trout have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. How I love baking my own breads and buns since I got over being a big chicken and confronted YEAST !

    I searched for a long time for a Kaiser bun recipe because I can't find any like we used to get years ago..and found one! I finally can make my own... have done twice now and they are the best hamburger buns!

    Two days ago I made Naan bread ...a huge hit with Mr. BV... ... we had them with a great chili.... mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete