Sunday, November 22, 2009

Our early Thanksgivings

With Thanksgiving approaching quickly this week, I always have a memory trip this week of the year.

Our first Thanksgiving as husband and wife, we spent at my parents' home. It was the typical turkey dinner for my mom. She always roasted the turkey breast down because that way the juices would stay in the breast and provide a very succulent turkey. I have tried it this way, but the family has always looked as me strangely. Granted, it is not something to photograph, but gosh, it tastes good.

Our second Thanksgiving of married life, we were living near Fort Knox, in Louisville, Kentucky. Small apartment, but we loved it. We invited a couple also stationed there who were from Iowa. He and the Trout were drafted on the same day.

Actually, the turkey was beautiful, tasted great and so did all the fixins! But, almost immediately after the meal, John, our guest, excused himself to the bathroom. He was sick, very sick, throwing up with the flu. At least we decided it was the flu since no one else got sick from my meal. I had my doubts though and a little insecurity set in.

No, I will not tell you about every turkey I have ever roasted, but the following year was a memorable one. We were living in a tiny apartment in Heidelberg, Germany. The kitchen was on the upstairs landing. It had a sink, which we also used as a bathroom sink, a tiny refrigerator and a very tiny two burner gas stove with an even tinier oven. I measured and measured that oven and told the Trout that no turkey would ever be able to see the inside of that oven. He simply would not fit. I suppose I could have gotten a very small Cornish hen in there, but no turkey. Disappointment!! Even though we were living in Germany, we were Americans, and turkey was a tradition. It had to be.

We went to the base exchange for our groceries and I searched and searched until I found a turkey that would fit. Oh yes, we had turkey that day with the fixins, but the turkey was a turkey roll. You know the kind, turkey meat rolled together in a cylinder and then frozen. Well, it tasted great and even the landlady and her brother were impressed. Back in 1968, turkey was not a typical food in Germany. Only many years later did Europe start using turkey and putting in on restaurant menus.

These are precious memories for me. I have trouble believing how long it has been and how quickly the time has passed. This Thanksgiving, well, it is just the Trout and me this year. But, we will have a real turkey, roasted breast up and with all the fixins! I can hardly wait.

Oh yes, one more thing....Speaking of turkey breasts, tomorrow is my annual mammogram and NO ONE will take that privilege away from me, no matter what my age!!!

15 comments:

  1. I will cherish the moment alone with you my dear and enjoy your good cooking as usual!! and the turkey sandwiches and turkey Divan etc etc for days on end!!! we can start saving money for our France trip now booked with airline tickets in hand for next late april!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post, way to end the story!! We are breast down people also, turkey that is although I'm sure some of us sleep on our tummies:) It is so sweet to be an American and celebrate "Thanksgiving"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I like your style and sense of humor! Great story filled with lots of memories... after all, that is what Thanksgiving is all about ~ our blessed memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute stories! Hoping for a good report on your mammo! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice blog post. I enjoyed the stories of Thanksgiving past-Very nice.
    Here is raising a glass to the opportunity to have your turkey gram (mammogram) each year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to making many more wonderful Thanksgiving memories with family and friends close by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A quick hello...life has been busy over at KM!

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:46 PM

    Susan, your last comment made me chuckle but also made me aware of what is happening. I think that Obama-care is making us aware in advance. Yearly exams will not be paid for with 'their' insurance plan.

    My most memorable Thanksgiving Day was spent in a most unusual place. I was in India in November of 1971 when Pakistan and India were suddenly in 'conflict'. I had met a group of young people from all over the world and we were all concerned. We found an old bus without heating or air conditioning but we needed to escape the conflict. We found a driver and quickly escaped with machine guns trained on us at almost every turn of the road.

    When we reached safely at what they call 'no-man's land' we camped for the night. We prepared a simple stew over a camp fire. Just as we were ready to eat, two wild turkeys strutted in front of the camp fire. I could not believe that there were turkeys there. I explained then the concept of Thanksgiving Day and what it meant in America that very day in America. There was not a dry eye in the place. rw

    ReplyDelete
  9. Richard...I just told the Trout that the most interesting individual I have ever met is the one I no almost nothing about. YOU! What a story and thanks for sharing. By the way, if you are ever in Florida, please visit us. You have many stories I would love to hear. And, while I am at it, are you writing them down?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving Susan. Loved your rememberances. We all have the right to mammograms. It has nothing to do with politics as suggested by your previous commenter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I beg to differ Penny. New rulings coming out say only every other year for women over 60. Just wait...insurance companies will follow this. Medicare will follow this. They will save so much money. It is even harder for younger women. The new rules will be ridiculous. Women have to stand up for this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had my mammogram last week and passed with flying colors. That is always a relief! Good luck tomorrow.

    Thanks for visiting me at Delights of the Heart today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH you two!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear these stories. Knowing you personally now, makes them even sweeter. :)Dale your a softy buddy and your hugs are so warm - Sue - your smile is enough to light up any room and your giggle is infectious! I love you two and am PRAYING for a visit next summer!! OR - CHRISTMAS!!!!

    Happy Thanksgiving to two of the greatest people I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your wonderful stories, Susan. Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you and your family.

    I agree with you. It scares me to think that we could soon have restrictions on such an important test for women.

    ReplyDelete