Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's Time for Baseball







I have always loved baseball. It started years ago when my friend's mom and dad took us to St. Louis to watch the Dodgers play the Cardinals. This was probably 1961. My friend's dad, Bill Zuber, had played professional ball with the Yankees and other teams in the 40's. He got us right up to the ballplayers and I got lots of autographs of that time. Sandy Koufax, Larry Sherry, Stan Musial, Leo Durocher, and many others.


In high school, since my sweetie was pitching for our team, I managed to get a job as a scorekeeper and was able to go to the away games as well as the home games. The Trout was a great pitcher.


So yesterday, we went to a baseball game. Lakeland is the winter training ground for the Detroit Tigers. We saw the Tigers beat the Mets 7-2. In an amazing game, 3 bats were broken by the Mets. (We suspected termites).


The beauty of the green grass, the brown dirt and the pattern of the ball diamond is just very beautiful to me. It was a great day out in the Florida 78 degree sunshine. In a week we will see the Tigers play the Yankees. That will be exciting as well!!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely day, Susan. And terrific photos, by the way. That's a real learning process, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:18 PM

    My high school baseball coach and history teacher, Jim Fanning, was a professional baseball player for the Cubs and later was the manager of the Expos and is in the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame. He invited me to Atlanta to be his guest at a Braves game when he was assistant manager there. We still keep in touch. I was a huge fan of baseball from the time I was a little child. I used to memorize the batting averages of all the players and knew the day by day standings of all the teams. Of course there weren't so many teams to follow back then. The Cubs and Cardinals were my favorite teams. For some reason I am no longer a big baseball fan. I think it had to do with all the labor problems a few years ago when the players went on strike and shortened the season. And by the way, I remember Dale was a good player in high school. rw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun. I miss those palm trees. Great pictures.
    Ang


    Make sure and get some great shots of the Yankees for your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great day! Your pictures make me want to see a game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:13 AM

    Beautiful story, Susan. I remember Dale playing baseball for AHS. The older ball players I remember played not for the money or the publicity but "for the love of the game" and for the fans of baseball. czb

    ReplyDelete