Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A good day

Well, the delivering of Meals on Wheels went well. I can see why this is such a need in our community. Actually, for our town, this is the first time anyone is available to deliver the meals and they are so sorely needed to many individuals.


We could tell as we knocked on the doors and the people answered that they were happy to see us. It was a good feeling that we could help. It only took 2-3 hours out of a Tuesday morning and we did such a good thing.


On a different note, last November, because we were going to a friend's house for Thanksgiving, we bought a turkey for the freezer for only $.79 a pound. That is a good price. On Sunday, the house smelled like Thanksgiving. We had roasted turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce and salad. I said NO to pie. It was enough for just the two of us. The Trout did mention pecan pie once, and I told him to forget it. We have been enjoying turkey sandwiches and tonight I made another favorite. Turkey Divan.


Steam broccoli and put in a buttered casserole. Add cut up turkey. On top of this combine a can of cream of chicken soup with 1/4 cup of mayonnaise, and a good pinch of curry powder. Add 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese and on top of this add bread crumbs and butter. (I usually freeze hot dog buns and grate them to make bread crumbs). Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. It was very, very good.


While growing up, we never had casseroles to eat, so this has always been a new trick for me. I rarely make them, but this is one time, when there is left over turkey, I love this casserole.

5 comments:

  1. Susan, I'm so glad your morning is successful. The turkey divan is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:34 PM

    Glad the Meals went well for you!. I have had this broccoli-chicken recipe since 1960s. Mine also has 1 t lemon juice in the mayo/soup and 1 c Peppridge Farm herb bread stuffing with 1/2 t curry powder. A magazine article printed this similar recipe and said it was from Tricia Nixon's grandmother. It was from my college friend!! What's on your meals on wheels?? CZB

    ReplyDelete
  3. That casserole looks deliciopus!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CZB-my recipe also calls for 1 t lemon juice, and I have often left that out because I could see no difference. I just use the light bread crumbs instead of the heavy stuffing, because I want to taste the turkey and broccoli. I think the recipe did start somewhere in the 60's. Meals on Wheels looked okay. What can you expect for $4? A piece of breaded mystery meat (remember that from college), beets, mashed potatoes and gravy, a slice of bread and coconut cream pie. For some, it might be the only hot meal of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:54 AM

    Brian is hungry for turkey divan too. Send some up this way. LOVE, E

    ReplyDelete