Saturday, April 10, 2010

A very delightful Flan

Here the sugar has been carmelized and swirled around the pan.
After baking to a golden brown.



The sliced flan.

Somewhere back in the 1980's I came across a recipe from an acquaintance in the Newcomers' Club we belonged to. She willingly shared the recipe with me and it has become a favorite ever since.

A flan is a Spanish or Mexican dessert and I think every country has some sort of variation on this theme. I like this recipe because it tastes wonderful, is reliable and I have not found one person who did not like it. The flavoring that goes into it is up to you. Kahlua always seems perfect, but this time I used Cointreau. Creme de Cacao would also be great. Or, if you prefer, a good quality vanilla extract would be tasty also. The recipe comes together quickly, spends a night in the refrigerator and then is ready to serve when you are ready to eat it.



Flan

3 tablespoons sugar
3 oz. blanched almonds
1 can sweetened condensed milk such as Eagle Brand
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 whole eggs
2 teaspoons Kahlua, Grand Marnier or your choice

Heat sugar in an 8" cake pan with 1 1/2" sides on top of the stove until golden brown. Don't rush this. Put on your oven mitts and moved the sugar as it melts around to cover the entire bottom of the cake pan. Be aware that as this cools it hardens and then starts cracking. This is normal.

Chop almonds in a blender until fine. Add the condensed milk, cream, eggs and Kahlua or Grand Marnier. Blend 10 seconds. Pour into the flan pan on top of the hardened golden melted sugar that is now crack hard and set in a larger pan with 1" water. This will be like a water bath to help it bake evenly.

Bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees. Cool, and then refrigerate overnight. To serve, run edge of knife around the pan. Place the serving plate upside down on top of the flan pan and flip over. Shake it down slowly onto the serving plate. The caramelized sugar will run down the sides. Cut in wedges. Easily 8 servings.

12 comments:

  1. I love flan. No kidding. I haven't made it in years, and now you've made me long for it. Your version is quite lovely, and I love the idea of booze in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this similar to custard? It looks firmer to me. Your salad from the previous post looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have prepared crême brulé et crême caramel, but never flan. Looks so good; gives the the urge!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, we are not dessert eaters; however, I will make an exception for either flan or crême brulé! We have guests coming this week, and since they love their dessert, I may break down and give it a go. ;) Thank you. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, this looks beautiful. It sounds very much like a Mexican flan that I once had and loved. I'll have to try this soon. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flan looks terrific. I don't think I've ever seen flan sliced in a wedge like that before. It looks softly firm without the completely gelled texture that puts me off of many flans I have seen.

    I have wanted to make flan since traveling to Spain many years ago but have always found a reason not to, usually opting to make something chocolate instead.

    Maybe its your caramelized sugar that sells me here, or maybe my tastes are changing, but I have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely be trying this. Love the kahlua in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely flan recipe and picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back again to assure you that you'll love edamame. Do try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, your flan looks delicious! I've never made it but must try it! I know it's good!

    I see we have a lot in common: I was born in the Midwest, grew up in Louisville, KY, lived in Germany, and love to play golf, cook and travel now that I'm retired.

    Your blog is great and I will be back to enjoy your writing! Thanks so much for visiting mine. Have a good day! Pam

    ReplyDelete