Thursday, September 3, 2009

It is finished!

I have finally finished my sewing project, the Raggy Jacket. Wasn't too excited about the Homespun fabric choices I had, so it is hurting somewhat. I do not like the red especially, but was short a new fabric and decided on this. I also did it on the cheap. Went to a fabric mill end warehouse and spent only $29.

I needed to borrow an iron and did not have an ironing board in Montana. I also did not bring my rotary cutter or my plastic measuring rulers, but it worked. I also needed to phone my son-in-law, Mike, to get a quick geometry lesson when I was cutting the bias strips. Wanted to be 100% sure I was laying the fabric in the correct direction before cutting. He told me I was right. Thanks, Mike, for the help. He has cut and laid tile for many years, and I knew he would have the answer.
This will be perfect for winters in Florida, walking the dog. There in the last picture you can see the caboose, so you will know why I need to get walking this winter! By the way, The Trout said I looked like Emmett Kelly in it!!! I know there are some of you out there who know who I am talking about it. Love you, Trout!!

10 comments:

  1. I was thinking more along the lines of Dolly Parton's "Coat of Many Colors"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed you were able to do that away from home. The two of you are something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool jacket. I remember making a jean version that was kind of similar for my daughter when she was little. I always found my sewing projects were much cuter on her. lol! I do love your handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan I love your jacket. This is so cool. I can't sew a hankie! I've bought patterns for aprons to make all my girls this Christmas...I might be calling. I more than likely over my head! Good job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...I had to chuckle over Trout's comment, but I have no idea who Emmett Kelly is...hmmmmm

    Your jacket is a work of art, look at you, your so talented girlfriend! I've heard of rag rugs, rag baskets, and even rag purses, but not rag jackets....how clever is that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it is as comfortable as it looks! You did a very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when people create suing their minds and hands and what they have around them. Good job!
    What caboose? You call your slim figure a caboose? Lawd that means I am in deep weeds with a battle cruiser.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's darling! I love all of the wonderful colors! Nice job!

    Now can you come help me hem all of my daughters school pants?! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your jacket, Susan. Its so colorful and the clipped seams add so much texture. I don't sew for myself any more because I'm never happy with the fit. But you've inspired me to maybe give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:49 AM

    I am absolutely amazed by all of your talents. I throw shirts away when a button comes off. That shows you what my sewing talent is! I know you will receive lots of compliments when you wear that in Florida next winter. Of course Emmett Kelly was the best at his particular occupation, Trout! :) rw

    ReplyDelete