Friday, September 11, 2009

Can you guess what it is?

Can you guess what this is? I can only guess at the weight, but it must be well over 3 pounds. I grew up eating this vegetable, but on a much smaller scale. It was always a favorite. I wish my mom was alive so I could ask her just exactly how to cook it, but I will experiment since I have a lot of subject to work with.

This is a Kossack Kohlrabi or a giant kohlrabi. The Trout bought it yesterday as he went through town and saw there was a small farmer's market going on. This part of Montana has a lot of Hutterites living here. They are a religious sect and simply delightful people. Years ago we made friends with some Hutterites in a colony in South Dakota. My parents had visited there years before, so we wanted to thank them for the kindness they showed my dad who got ill while visiting there. My father's family goes back to Russia where Hutterites resided because of religious persecution, and came to America to live. My great grandfather belonged to this sect.

So, I know there will be some raw kohlrabi, possibly some in stir-fry, some creamed, braised, etc. Any other ideas? I am a willing listener.

10 comments:

  1. I've never seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Can you guess....not to save my life. I've never seen anything like it before. It's large enough to be your very best friend for about a week :-). I sure hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mary! Of all people, I thought you'd have the perfect recipe up your sleeve!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you peel it? I've never seen that before either. You sure are having a great trip! Just been catching up with your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, kohlrabi is peeled, smells a lot like cabbage and I have been eating it raw all afternoon. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what it is....

    What are you going to do with it?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. We mostly eat them raw with a bit of course salt on them. I've put them in garden stews. Now I'm hungry for one, good thing the farmers market is tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Susan, I've never seen one of these before never mind heard of one. Interesting though!

    Hope it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have never seen anything like it before.

    That was some fish in your previous post. like seeing the scenery. Could just go out and walk there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:16 AM

    Hi Sus: This is a huge kohl rabi. Wasn't it dehydrated and woody? The small ones retain moisture. Oma boiled it in salted water and used the water to make a white sauce with s&p and I thought a touch of nutmeg (optional). Pleasant memories! czb

    ReplyDelete