Friday, April 3, 2009

Delivering the meals

The Trout and I finished our second run of Meals on Wheels a little while ago. We were needed to help out on an extra day. We definitely have a mixture of people to deliver to. Some are touching to the heart, some are just strange, but there is one sweet woman I actually worry about during the week.

It looks like she has been through chemo as she is obviously wearing a wig. She is frail and does not look well at all. But she is so kind. Today she grabbed my heart when after I had placed the meal in her kitchen, she told me that I was very kind to do this for her and then she said, "God is very pleased with you." Wow! That about blew my socks off.

We are both very surprised how fulfilling this little job has become. We actually did our route today without the map. Are we getting good, or what?

Tonight we are pretending to be in Alsace and having Choucroute for dinner. I plan on posting tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. You're not getting good. You've been good all along. Blessings for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very nice feeling when helping others. I'm curious about what you are having for dinner. I was going to google it but decided to be surprised by tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:31 PM

    Susan, you have always been so kind so it is not surprising that you are still that--and then some. My brother and his wife are having the same experience that you are when they deliver for Meals on Wheels. I am glad that Dale is as compassionate as you are. We always receive more than we give, I think. I wish more people could understand that. RW

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just had the feeling I have being a nurse. When you are doing something right and gives you a "buzz" then all is right in the world. I'm glad you are experiencing this. It is so worthwhile. Love ya, Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very off the subject, but Erika, I always felt the buzz when I worked for Dr. Hogan. We had a dear, young patient with malignant melanoma and I helped get him to CA to the John Wayne Cancer Institute for some very experimental treatment. He and I became very good friends. I retired just before he died from the skin cancer. It broke my heart, but I knew I really had a hand in helping him in his journey to survive. Unfortunately, cancer treatment still has a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. W: Thank you for your kind comments. You always were an encourager and you still are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Often - it's the few minutes of human contact that's more important than the meal. So glad that you are doing this for my dear Lakelanders!

    ReplyDelete