Thursday, October 15, 2009

I just have to show you this!



Last Saturday, we were visiting our daughter and family in Ohio. We went to Jack Hanna's Columbus Zoo which is a very beautiful place. It is like walking through a very private park, everything in its place.

We saw the typical monkeys, fish in the aquarium, etc., but there was one animal I had never seen before and actually, I did not know this creature existed. It is called an Okapi (O copy). They are found in NE Zaire and were first discovered in 1900. I just can't believe I have never heard of this animal. Because it is so strange looking, I know I would have remembered seeing photos of it before. You form your own opinion. I just had to stare and stare. My son-in-law summed it up when he remarked that it looked like God had some left-overs to use up when he designed the Okapi.

Be sure to double-click on the photos to get a close-up look. They weren't very cooperative in posing for me.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a very different looking animal. I thought it was a moose at first until I saw the zebra-like stripes on the legs and then I had no clue what it was. Interesting to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing! Only a mother....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an odd looking animal ! I have heard of them before - years ago - but have never seen one. He looks so sad standing there all on his own !

    ReplyDelete
  4. atleast he-she was alot better behaved than the gorillas who got amorous!!! Trout

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are a very strange animal indeed.. another parts left over animal is the Talkin...yes thats its name.. look it up - they are WIERD! Glad you made it home and wished we could have gotten together. I missed you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wierd looking thing. My first impression was a cross between a zebra and a skinny cow with big ears. Very strange indeed ...

    But he does look happy munching away at the leaves, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Proof positive that even the doesn't want anything to go to waste! He is also very creative!

    ReplyDelete