Thursday, March 3, 2011

Orzo and Veggies

I am sharing a side dish with you today that doesn't come with a recipe.  It is something I started putting together last summer while in Montana, and just prepared it again this week.  I do not know what it is about it that makes it taste so good, but we love it.  Very simple, very easy....as Chef Tell used to say. 

I boil orzo (whole wheat in this case) a couple of minutes short of total cooking time.  Drain and set aside.

Then olive oil in a hot pan, diced onions, carrots and red pepper.  Sautè until softened, add back the cooked orzo and mix together well as the orzo has probably tried to stick together.  It will come apart nicely.  Top with lots of fresh chopped parsley and enjoy.  It is even better left over.

I must add...I should have mentioned that orzo is a type of pasta that can be found in any grocer in the pasta aisle.  S

10 comments:

  1. Not sure that I have ever seen Orzo, I must have a look as this sounds interesting. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really sounds wonderful, Susan. I really like dishes that can be made in places where we are home away from home and working with limited equipment. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan!

    That looks good!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dish, Susan, and am content to make a meal out of it. With a little salad it's a perfect dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,

    That looks wonderful and tasty. I loved your post on Ybor City. Hope to get there some day. We have a tendency to get into our little rut in Sarasota and not venture too far because everything we need is right here.

    We did get to Arcadia for a little antiquing and that was fun!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! I wish you could pass a serving through the computer screen! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love to cook with orzo; thank you for sharing another special way of serving it; looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to have another idea of what to do with this interesting little pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious recipe, Susan! I love orzo salad mixtures and this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds good. I love orzo as does my hubby. Every time I serve it, he says "This is good rice." And each time, I reply "It's not rice, it's pasta." He nods his head okay, then next time I serve it we have the conversation again. LOL

    ReplyDelete