Sunday, March 27, 2011

Flammkuchen

One of my favorite places in Europe is the area of France named Alsace Lorraine.  It sits right on the German border, and this darling section of Europe has changed leadership from French to German to French more times than should be allowed.  However, during this exchange, recipes also exchanged hands and Flammkuchen is one of those that survived to treat both the French and German citizens alike.  Being of German descent, I will admit that I feel this has more German than French exuding through the flavors.  I mean, bacon and onions.....doesn't that just scream German?

The above photo is just before entering the oven.  Even in this stage, I find it irresitible. 

It could be called a German pizza, and that makes me happy.  We were served this in a bed and breakfast we stayed at last year in Alsace. 

I baked bread a couple of days ago and saved half the dough in the refrigerator to make the crust for this kuchen.  It worked out perfectly.  Very crispy and crackly at the edges.  The smell...well, you can only imagine.

And, once again, a very favorite wine.  We served this last month with scallops and it was very fitting to go with the onions and bacon and crème frâiche.  It is a Spanish wine, chenin blanc-like, 2009.

My recipe comes from a combination of resources.  A blogger friend sent me to a German site and once again, Ann from Thibeault's Table  blogged about it also.  Here is my version which I like a lot.  I have tried recipes that actually add sugar and it turned me off.  Personally, I do not like to add sugar to any savory foods, even salad dressings.  It is just a taste "thing" with me.  After all these years, I am pretty persnickety about flavors.

Flammkuchen

Any bread dough that works to make a pizza-like crust, crispy and thin

For the toppings:

1 cup crème frâiche
1 onion sliced thinly
1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 pound bacon
Salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Roll dough very thinly and place on baking sheet, pizza pan or stone.
Thinly slice onions and sauté in butter until clear...not caramelized.
Cook bacon until crisp.  Finely chop garlic and add with the salt and pepper to the cream.

Spread the crème frâiche over the rolled out dough and top with the bacon and onions. 

Bake for around 10-15 minutes, or until the dough has begun to create bubbles and you see nice browning. 

12 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite fall foods - good any time! When we lived in the the Schwarzwald, a mere 10 minutes across the bridge from the Alsace, we ate this with new wine every year. I find it is best with a rough wine - but perhaps that is just for nostalgia. This may be supper one night this week, now that you've given me the lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pondside, I would love to eat this with any drink...even a good beer would do. My preference has always been red wines. White cause too much heartburn...but then, it is my age playing havoc on my tastebuds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:43 PM

    Oh, wie koestlich. Ich mag Flammkuchen am Liebsten zur Zeit der Weinlese mit einem guten neuen Wein, der noch bizzelt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That German pizza sounds FANTASTIC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could you go wrong with this short list of ingredients! I love the crème frâiche on there, and of course, the onions and bacon. Hmm, I may have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, you are such a fabulous cook! You should run a B & B! The only problem is you'd be booked solid and wouldn't have a moments rest!

    Duke says thank you for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Milwaukee being such a German-heritage city I'm surprised I haven't heard of this before - it sounds wonderful! I am copying and saving the recipe to try very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I liked onions, because it looks delicious - I mean, anything is better with bacon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first I've heard of it, Susan. But I agree, it does sound German. Wish my grandma was still with us, I'd ask her all about it.
    It looks delicious, and better yet, very few ingredients and simple to put together. I've already copied it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. This could become my favorite pizza Susan. We've visited towns along the border and they sometimes do seem more German than French.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to meet you! I grew up in Ames, but visited the Amana Colonies a lot while living in IC for college and as a newlywed. Another coincidence...I just ordered a cutting board from Ann at Thibeault's Table.

    What a great recipe...my dad's family came from the Alsace Lorraine region...and he would adore this! I'm thinking small squares would make great appetizers.

    Have a great weekend, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is not what I was expecting but it's quite welcome. Looks very tasty and I'm liking the look of the wine as well. I'm still on a light diet--as in heating up soup--but should be back to my "love most foods" self in another few days. It's a real bummer to have no taste for the delicious!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete