Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Delicious Beef Stew

I have always had a love for a good beef stew.  We both enjoy a good beef daube, but it is not a time saver and does take some care until it is brought to the table.  So when I saw Penny at Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen  post a Skillet Beef in Wine, I knew I had to try it.  It is almost the same recipe except for a more tender cut of beef and no bacon or Cognac is added.



We followed the recipe exactly and it was so delicious!!!  Perhaps next time we will experiment a little more, start out with some bacon, maybe pearl onions, dash of tomato paste, rosemary and bay leaf.  A shot of Cognac or brandy would be a nice addition also.

Sounds like we are getting back to the original daube recipe such as Dorie Greenspan claims is her "to go to" recipe.  I am fortunate that The Trout likes to use the knife and he does a great job with slicing and chopping.  With all that done in advance, this stew comes together quickly.

Without a doubt, you will not go wrong with Penny's Skillet Beef in Wine.

Skillet Beef in Wine
  from Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen

1 1/2 pounds boneless sirloin steak
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 onion chopped
1 pound red potatoes cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 con low sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup red wine

Cut the steak into 1-inch cubes.  Coat a large nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon oil and place over medium-high heat until hot.  Add steak cubes and cook 4 minutes or until steak loses its pink color and is browned on all sides.  Remove steak cubes to a platter and drain the skillet well.

Re-coat the skillet with 1 tablespoon oil.  Place over medium-high heat until hot.  Add carrot, mushrooms, onion and potatoes; saute 5 minutes.  Return steak to skillet.  Add thyme, salt, pepper and beef broth and stir well.  Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 50 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

Place flour in a small bowl and gradually add wine, blending with a whisk.  Add to steak mixture and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes for until thick and bubbly, stirring occasionally.  Add 1 tablespoon butter at this time to add some gloss and richness to the stew.

14 comments:

  1. I did print that recipe Susan. It is the perfect recipe for me to make; we had snow this morning. I can almost taste it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a big dinner coming up next week, this sounds the sort of meal I would like to do with a few additives as you suggested. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing more comforting than a nice bowl of beef stew! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good recipe. I love a good beef stew, too (except mine turns out to be venison stew :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comfort food for sure! Thank you for passing it along. And, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your prayers, Susan. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks good, Susan! My hubby would love love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan. So glad that you and The Trout enjoyed this quick stew. And thanks for the link back. I love a good daube or bourguignonne too but as you said it takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always know you will have something yummy, Susan - this looks wonderful - I love a good old fashioned meal like this, you just can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure makes me want beef stew

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so delicious! We've been having cool weather here lately so I've been dreaming of comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penny posts such good recipes, doesn't she? And this one looks wonderful, Susan. Just right for the rainy day we're having today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm making something very like this today....It's true comfort food. And now that it's so cold again and they're predicting snow tomorrow, I think I need some comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks and sounds fabulous!! I love the red wine as an ingredient.
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saved this recipe when I saw it on Penny's blog and I can't wait to try it, Susan. I think this will make a nice Sunday dinner this weekend. I'll have to get a good loaf of crusty bread to serve with it.

    ReplyDelete