Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Roman architecture in Glanum



Outside of the town of St. Remy are the ruins of Glanum and the remarkable Roman ruins known as les Antiques.  Beside the road you see this well-preserved mausoleum and arch.  It is estimated that they were erected around AD30.


On the opposite side of the road is the true entrance.  Excavations have taken place since 1921, and many different layers of habitation have been recovered.  

I have a real love of walking through these ruins.  It is like my imagination gets carried away and I wish I could have been there at the time all this land was inhabited.

Several times I ran my fingers along the edges of this carved stone.  I can only imagine....

And who might have sat here?  I am so glad we found this area.  Enjoy the pictures.

9 comments:

  1. Did you sit on the bench and wonder who had sat there before you? The ruins are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, Susan. If walls could talk...

    I always wonder, too...

    blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:25 PM

    Love the pictures. As a history person, it is fantastical to imagine who might have walked there, sat there etc. The enormity of time passed and yet, humans are the same. Just to think of what their day was like-- what were their 'to do' lists? But as to living in those times-- maybe not so much. As bad as gets here, it was a whole lot worse then. And.... there were no TVs. At lease they did not have reality shows like Bridezillas. LOL

    laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:27 PM

    and I forgot...no NFL football---ha, the way things are going , we may not have it either. Oh-- what is the world coming to. I am melting.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something really compelling about the time spent in ancient ruins. For me it is always the quiet that pervades these places. It allows the mind to run wild and fashion visions of what must have been. Your photos are wonderful, Susan. It sounds like you had a fabulous holiday. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right with imagining what it all was like back then, Susan. It's amazing to think how old the ruins are and what the people had to do to survive. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful. I like to imagine what went on too. Sounds like you're having a lovely time!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love all of the Roman ruins in Provence. Just imagine how many people have walked (and sat) before you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. A place like this can't help but make you wonder about the past inhabitants. Oh, if we could only go back for a day!

    ReplyDelete