Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mussels, Clams and Shrimp in Spicy Broth



I can't believe that I have never blogged about one of our very favorite dishes.  We found this on the Food Network way back in 2003.  We have made it often, but in my opinion, not quite often enough.  I could eat this at least once a week.  For heaven's sake, why don't we?

Because we are trying to cut down our portions and this dish serves 6, and we all know, The Trout and I can eat it all, I halved the recipe for us, but will print the recipe as suggested, for 6 servings.  If you love seafood, like shrimp, clams and mussels, do try this.  It is very easy to put together and so very, very tasty.

Mussels, Clams and Shrimp in Spicy Broth
Courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis

Yield 6 servings (this could be true or not)  (wink, wink)

1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (feel free to adjust)
1 cup dry white wine
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
24 small Littleneck clams  (about 2 1/2 pounds, total) scrubbed
24 mussels (about 1 1/2 pounds total) debearded
20 large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled, deveined and butterflied
1/2 cup torn fresh basil  (tonight we used flat leave parsley)

Warm crusty bread...if you dare

Heat the oil in a heavy, large pot over medium heat.  Add the garlic, bay leaf, and crushed red pepper.  Saute until the garlic is tender, about 1 minute.  Add the wine and bring to a boil.  Add the tomatoes.  Bring to a simmer.  Simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down and the flavors blend, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the clams (in the shells).  Cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in the mussels (also in the shells).  Cover and cook until the clams and mussels open, about 5 minutes longer. 

Using tongs, transfer the opened shellfish to serving bowl.  DISCARD any shellfish that do not open.  Add the shrimp and basil too the simmering tomato broth.  Simmer until the shrimp is just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Divide the shrimp and tomato broth among the bowls.  Serve with warm bread.

I usually put all of this dish into a serving bowl and we just serve ourselves out of the larger bowl.  It can be messy, but I guarantee it that you will love it.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Susan
    we just had mussels and clams tonite over pasta...your version looks so much more flavorful!! I will have to remember it for next time!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susan, I saw clams and mussels when I went to the store today and thought we're going to have to have something like this soon! This sounds like a good 3rd anniversary dinner for us coming up in April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a flavourful seafood treat! I wish I could have some to make a pasta dish for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mussels, clams and shrimp - now you're talking. We could eat the entire recipe too. Like you and the Trout, we are doing our best to eat smaller portions and so far it's been paying off. (yahoo!)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this seafood combo, Susan, and know I would eat it all no matter how much I make. Smaller portions is my goal this year so I better make half a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this really is not fair when I am in the UK and can not afford sea food :(((( I will pig out when I get back to France at the end of March :)))))) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I have to say that your tasty meal would not be for me. Just the thought of mussels is enough but they love them in France.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloria1:29 PM

    Not only does the recipe sound great, but I SO agree with your comment about "why don't we have it more often?" You should, the we also should be using our good dishes, fancy glassware, etc., if we aren't already. Not a lot of sense to having cool stuff and not using it. What would we be waiting for???? Your blog is just the best; you have a talent indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this kind of dish! I actually have Cioppino started for dinner tonight! The recipe is similar but there are more veggies in the Cioppino. Yum, yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh that sounds good - imagining a lovely crusty baguette with it - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Susan - this looks delicious. I have a real soft spot for seafood and fish soups/stews and my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw this link on Karen's site and had to check it out. Fantastic recipe. We love mussels and I will use this recipe the next time we make them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know we would get along, I love all the food you are posting, and especially this. I had it for the first time in an Italian restaurant when I lived in Dallas. YUMMY! Yours sounds and looks great!

    ReplyDelete