Monday, November 29, 2010

Welcome to the kitchen of Schnitzel and the Trout

Penny at "Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen" presented a challenge, a Kitchen Reveal.   I knew I would not be opening my cupboards, because, actually, that is on my BIG list for the new year.  Organize.  My daughters know I can be very neat but what is in drawers and cupboards is another topic.

Above you see the west end of the kitchen.  I like the glass top range.  Gas is something you don't find in Florida, and the ability to keep this range clean is such an added bonus to me.  My olive oils and vinegars to the left of the stove and I have a counter garage where I keep the toaster, blender, small food processor.  I love this feature a lot.  


Not my choice of refrigerator, but it came with the house.  A French door refrig would be only a dream to wish for.  On the right you see my messy cookbook shelf.  Most of our recipes are in the blue folder on the top right shelf.  They are copied off the Internet from blogs like yours and used often.   I keep a running list of what is in the freezer on the refrigerator front, so that nothing gets lost and forgotten.

The four plates on the wall are very special to me.  They are hand prints and foot prints of our four grandchildren with their names and date of birth.  These cannot be replaced  and mean so much.  Besides, it is a gentle reminder that a birthday is coming up!!!




The center of my counter is a bit lower than the rest.  It is actually for kneading bread and rolling pie crusts...a more comfortable position for working.  I have my coffeemaker and my Kitchenaid and a basket of onions and shallots and potatoes sitting there all the time. 

My kitchen is open and a sit-at counter on the other side is in the dining room/living room area.  I love my tile floor.  A lot of south windows make the whole area very bright.  It is a comfortable home and very conducive to cooking.  Since the Trout and I both cook together, it works out great for us. 

Come on over.  We'll make room at the table.  And thanks for stopping by.

24 comments:

  1. Great kitchen! We have a wee, 1921 sized kitchen but it works. I really like the idea of keeping a list of what's in the freezer. Too often, we have "freezer surprise"!

    I'm thinking about a kitchen reveal--soon!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to participate, Susan! You have a beautiful kitchen. Every time I roll out pie dough or knead bread, I wish for a shorter counter space to do it in. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely kitchen! I could only dream of that much counter space! It's so nice to be in a working kitchen. I also love the grandchildren plates - such a sweet idea! We did our kitchen over 3 years ago and I just found tile for the back-splash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only you had a kitchen island. haha... Love you. Looking forward to visiting that kitchen soon.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop it Ang!! the island is the only thing your mother and I have ever had a disagreement about!! HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, you have a great kitchen! Kind of funny as I have the same cabinets and even chose the same knobs for them with white sink and appliances. I love how open your kitchen is to the dining/LR area. My kitchen has a lot of red so I would love your red Kitchenaid instead of my white one. The best is the plates of your 4 grandchildren. Very decorative and special for sure. Looks like you have a lot of recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Angie!! I have even measured. A kitchen island would be lovely!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, thanks for showing us your kitchen. The best part to me is the ability to see into another room. I can feel very claustrophobic in a kitchen where I can't see out. Funny what we like....
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful kitchen, Susan! Our home and kitchen are old and small but I love them both :) I love how open your space is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks a good working space to me. I have an island in my kitchen in France and I wonder how I manage with out it when in my tiny little kitchen in the UK.

    I love the idea of the plates what a lovely thought. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, Thanks so much for sharing your kitchen. I love it and it reminds me of Julia's kitchen in that you have everything arranged to be easily accessible. Now I can picture you in your space. I am still on the road and will not be able to do my Kitchen post with all of the links until tomorrow. I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Dad. No island. Only fills up with more clutter. Get rid of the 1970's orange and green tupperware, and you will be set. I'm investing in QVC's Lock and Lock. Check it out. I' m due for a new set this year. Love ya and love the kitchen! Yes, the handprint plates have wonderful memories, even if the first one we did of Rachel's had the wrong year on it. Remember that? They said it was ok? Nonsense. E

    ReplyDelete
  13. a great kitchen, I think.....I like the rooster and hen up high, too! And the openness to the next room. It has a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your kitchen - I think being open to another room is always good if it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love Penny's kitchen reveal day. I am such a voyeur.

    so well organized and so fitting to you. Thanks so much for sharing. i posted mine earlier. Gonna go take a look through your archives

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved your kitchen. I have a 1991 Park Model kitchen so I won't even be showing that. Love yours though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I;d love to sit at your kitchen table. It's such a cozy warm room. I wish I had a lower counter for kneading bread and rolling dough. What a great feature. You also didn't catch me opening up my cupboards for the reveal. I need major help in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Susan,
    This is a lovely and bright kitchen! So many nice touches like the children's plates on the wall and I spy a RED kitchenaid mixer, I love RED! I lived in Germany too and loved it there. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this, so fun to see all the details of your great kitchen Susan. Love the white cabinets, lots of space too!

    So what does Dale have against islands anyway? LOL

    Miss ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How nice to see a well orgnaised kitchen! Mine is still part of a building site and is utter chaos since our rebuild and then the fire earlier this year. I'm at the stage now where I can't find anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks like a cook's kitchen! I'll have to take a page from your book (folder!) and start printing off recipes as I note them, and then store them with the cookbooks - I spend way too much time paging through blog sites looking for a remembered recipe.
    It sounds from your profile as though you've had at least as many kitchens, over the years, as I have had.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I sure would love to join you at your table! your kitchen is like in a Home magazine. I am pretty sure I would be in my glory there.
    Great post.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now I can picture you working in your kitchen when I see your lovely recipes. A counter garage would be a lovely thing to have.

    ReplyDelete