Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Clam Chowder to Wish For

We had a long day.  We got up at 4:10 a.m. and by 4:30 we were on the road to Disney.  By the time we got there and were at our work station, it was 5:45 a.m.  After a very busy day and lots of fun, we got home by 4:15 p.m. 

Plans were made ahead that tonight we would 'whip' together Mary's "Clam Chowder for Two".  I know a lot of you know Mary of ONE PERFECT BITE.  If not, please stop by her blog because she is the ultimate chef with a multitude of recipes that you will want to try.

Clam Chowder for Two
from Mary at One Perfect Bite

2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams ( For an added bonus, we added quite a few fresh shrimp)
1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
Water, if necessary
2 slices thick cut bacon cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 clove minced garlic (perhaps a bit more)
1 tablespoon unbleached flour
2 large red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, or perhaps more
1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

Drain clams, reserving juices.  Add bottled clam juice to reserved clam juice to measure 2 1/2 cups.  If short, add water.
Cook bacon in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat until beginning to crisp, about 5 minutes.  Stir in onion and cook until onion has softened and bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes.
Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Stir in flour and coat vegetables, and gradually whisk in clam juice.  Stir in potatoes, bay leaf and thyme.  Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
Stir in clams, cream and parsley.  Return to a simmer and then remove from heat.  Discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.  Yield:  2 servings.

14 comments:

  1. Susan, this was so very nice of you :-). I do appreciate the recognition and hope you both enjoyed the chowder. Hugs and blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do, indeed, know Mary's prowess in the kitchen! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The summer of 2009 found me in New England (Mass. and R.I.) sampling clam chowders at many places. My son and his future wife wanted to serve it as a first course at their wedding dinner. We finally decided that the Brown University Faculty Club had the edge--and a good thing since the dinner was to be held there.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect. We love clam chowder! I will give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a long day, it is amazing how you "whipped" up such a meal! I would have had Wendy's for two! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bowl of good clam chowder is hard to beat... especially after a long day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly do know Mary's lovely blog. I've made a few of her recipes. I bookmarked her Manhattan chowder, and I'm glad to see the New England style chowder. I love both of them. This is added to my soup list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a New Englander I'd have to say that "chowdah" looks pretty good! I'll have to pop over to Mary's kitchen and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favorite kind of clam chowder (the white one) and this recipe looks wonderful. I'll have to go check out Mary's blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to find this recipe.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a delicious recipe and I haven't had clam chowder in far too long! I am copying and pasting!

    I had to look below to see what you were doing at DisneyWorld. What a wonderful event! We used to love playing the Osprey Ridge and Eagle Pines courses there in the mid to late '90s when we would visit with our girls. It was so sad to hear that those two lovely courses are now condos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was born and grew up in New England, so of course this is one of my favorites. We'll be having clam chowder at least once this winter, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks delicious, Susan! I've never made it and have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, I love the idea of adding some shrimp. Sounds terrific.

    I used a portion of one of your comments on my latest blog post. Hope you enjoy it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds and looks so very good. How wonderful that you have the opportunity to volunteer for this special event.

    ReplyDelete