Saturday, June 20, 2015

My Basket Hobby

One year ago this week, we purchased our home in Arizona.  We moved in last September and since then, we have been very busy.  Blogging has definitely taken a back seat as one of the last things on my "To Do" list.  I read many blogs almost every day and enjoy keeping up with all my friends.  I have tried many of your recipes, too, but have not blogged about them.

One month ago we finally sold our Florida home.  That has been a long drawn out pressure removed from our minds.  It is over and I will not dwell on it anymore as we are now so happy in our new environment.

The Trout has been busier than he has in years and I will let you know about his hobbies very soon.  But today, I want to share my new hobby with you.  If you are my friend on Facebook, I have shown you a few photos of my Nantucket Lightship Basket weaving.  I found a new neighbor of mine who taught me and walked me through my first two baskets and just today I finished my third basket totally on my own.  I have never had so much fun.

I have also been doing some knitting, but now have started an interest in Kumihimo.  The instructor has just gone for the summer but will be back in the fall.  Not being able to sit still for long, I have watched You Tube videos and ordered some supplies and decided that this will be my "go to" hobby while we are in Montana this summer.  I will be making bracelets with beads.  With a little experience on my own, I will be able to tackle some bigger projects this winter with instruction.

I mentioned Montana.  It is getting to be that time again.  Yes, it is hot in Arizona right now, but not unbearable.  A cooler change for a few months seems just about right.  We feel very fortunate that we can spend our retirement in two climates and we take nothing for granted.

So, now onto the Nantucket baskets.  My first basket was a 6" round.  The canes for the staves come in large rolls which need to be cut to the lengths you need.  Next the cane binder reeds need to be cut into lengths to weave.

I then started on a large pot belly basket with a lid.  This was a bit more challenging, but I have plans for two more this winter.

My last basket was a very small 3" button basket.  I have plans for 2 more of these this winter also.  I can easily make a pin cushion out of it or add a lid.  I will do both in the future.


I used cherry wood for the rims and lid.


You can see the cherry wood in the bottom and that white dot is an ivory plug which is typical of Nantucket style.  



This little cutey is my button basket.  I set it next to the soda to show the small size.  


And once again, you see the ivory button in the bottom. 

5 comments:

  1. Susan, they are beautiful! Keep up the good work! You continue to amaze us with your talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baskets look great, Susan! And it's great that you are settled in your new home and love it. Arizona has to be wonderful in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a fun hobby, and I'm so impressed with your work. Kudos to you for keeping active.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautifully done, Susan....I'm delighted to see them, and also to hear of your settling so happily into your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness! You and The Trout are having so much FUN!!! I love the joy I feel in each of your writing... and the fountains of creativity!! And such a beautiful job of it all!! You are probably en route or in Montana by now... enjoy, dear friend, enjoy! You've made my day!! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete