Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Vietnamese Steak with Cucumber Salad

We have always been fans of Thai salads and all Thai foods, but when the Trout found this recipe on the N Y Times Cooking site,  we just had to try it.  It was not a mistake.  This has turned out to be our very favorite Thai/Vietnamese steak salad ever!

Vietnamese Steak with Cucumber Salad
by Melissa Clark for NYT Cooking

1/2 cup fish sauce
1 tablespoon packed lime zest
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
1 large jalapeno, minced
1 flank steak or small sirloin, about 1 1/2 pounds
1 small seedless English cucumber, thinly sliced
1 large bunch radishes, thinly sliced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon oil (vegetable or olive)
Cooked rice or rice noodles
Roasted peanuts, chopped
Fresh cilantro leaves

In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic and jalapeno.  Pour half of the mixture over the flank steak and let marinade at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate up to 24 hours.  Let meat come to room temperature before cooking. 

Combine the cucumber, radishes and scallions.  Pour in just enough of the left over marinade to coat.

Grill the meat to your done preference.  Thinly sliced and serve over cooked noodles or rice and top with the cucumber salad.  Garnish with cilantro and peanuts and serve with the remaining marinade as sauce.

Absolutely loved this salad and will be making it often.  We hesitated with using 1/2 cup fish sauce, fearing it would be too salty, but did use the whole 1/2 cup and it was perfectly seasoned.  Not too salty at all. 

11 comments:

  1. I subscribe to the NYT's Cooking. How did I miss this! Looks fantastic.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the contrasts of texture and flavor in Thai salads. This looks wonderful. I admire the way you two are always trying something new. And, I'd love to be next door. hehee =) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my kind of salad, it looks WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of salad, it looks WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Thai flavors too! This sounds like such a delicious recipe, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must give this a try. I always laugh when I use fish sauce - it makes me wonder who thought that would be good, yet it is.

    Madonna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pinning this salad---it sounds amazing!! Perfect dinner for me when Bill is out of town :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, how did I miss this! What a great meal for summer time. And for right now too. I think I have most of the ingredients in the pantry. Thanks, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read about you in Hutterite Diaries...I'm pretty sure I began reading this blog because I saw it on your blogrole.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to try this! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete