Sunday, March 22, 2015

Into the Baskets

I am so totally enjoying myself.  I love the classes and lectures that you can attend in our retirement village.  It has actually come to the point that I need my calendar with me at all times, because it fills up so quickly.  It is such fun.

My newest adventure is finding a neighbor from New England who teaches Nantucket basket weaving.  For some reason, I have always wanted to try basket weaving, but just did not attempt to teach myself.  Then dear Dorothy came along and now I am rolling full steam ahead.

 I wanted to start small, so this is a 6 inch basket.  I felt if I was due to make mistakes, it should be in a small basket.  Luckily, this is just about perfect.  It was definitely a learning experience that I enjoyed.  That small white button on the bottom is ivory and fills up the bolt hole that holds the basket on its form.  The wood is cherry.

A gentle spraying of shellac at the finish helps to preserve and shine the basket.

I need to claim this as my own, so it is signed by the artist.  sigh....

The basket was woven by cutting reeds into tapered ribs and using cane to weave in and out of the ribs.  Sort of addictive.  So much so that....I have started a potbelly basket with a cherry lid.

I am having fun, working at my own pace and knowing that my teacher is in the neighborhood and available if I need help. 


9 comments:

  1. Very cool Susan, what a fun craft to learn! I can think of a zillion different shaped baskets I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Susan, what a fun craft to learn! I can think of a zillion different shaped baskets I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Susan. You have really caught on fast. I would have to teach myself patience along with the basket weaving :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard about Nantucket baskets before until I met a lady from Boston on our recent US trip who also weaves them. I think your first one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Susan, what fun. That's what retirement is supposed to be about...taking time to do interesting things. Isn't it the best feeling to stand back and look at something beautiful you have made? There is nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful, Susan! It is a very good thing to have so many wonderful things to do and learn and share. I love those baskets! You are going to make me want to try to find a teacher.... ;) I've always been fascinated by the grass baskets in Charleston, SC... maybe one of these days. I love it. You will have baskets and how is the gourd art going for The Trout? You two will have to get a booth at the art festivals. ENJOY... I enjoy hearing about your new interests! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love being creative and this looks like so much fun but relaxing at the same time. Beautiful baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a very satisfying craft, Susan! You're in a good place, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, Susan! I'd be too impatient and run to the store to buy one, so I envy you. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete