Friday, February 6, 2015

Yummy Red Roasted Pepper Hummus

How easy is this and how yummy!  It certainly beats the pricey brand in all the grocery stores.  I found a recipe on the Internet which roasted the red peppers on the grill, cooled them, slipped the skin off, chopped them and then added to the chick peas.  I did it my way with a jar of red roasted peppers.  I just dried the amount of peppers I needed and chopped them.  Same results and so much faster.  The fresh red peppers will be used to dip into the hummus.  Sounds good to me!

Red Pepper Hummus

3/4 of a cup roasted red peppers from a jar
1 can 15 oz. chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp. tahini
2 small cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. salt or more to taste
1/4 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for serving if desired

To a food processor (I always use my small 2 cup processor) add chick peas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and cumin.  Pulse and then scrape down the sides.  Add olive oil and about 3/4 of the amount of the red peppers.  Pulse and then add 1 tbsp water to thin if necessary.  If still too thick, you can add a small amount of more water. 

Top with a small amount of the chopped peppers and serve with veggies or pita chips.  Store in the refrigerator. 

I like the color and it fits perfectly in my very first ever bowl that I turned on a potter's wheel several years ago. 

7 comments:

  1. Very pretty Susan and would make a nice appetizer for Valentines's Day. I definitely like your method opposed to the original.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking YOURS might be the first hummus I actually ENJOYED. ;) blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a hummus fan but this does sound good. Hope all is well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to chuckle, that I've repeatedly said I don't like garbanzo beans or falafels. HOWEVER, this recipe would work for me, I am sure of it. Though, I might be tempted to adapt this into white bean humus. Either way, I'm sure I'd dig right in and love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, exactly...white beans would work. I really, really like the taste of this combo. ;)

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious! And not difficult to make. And healthy! I've made hummus at home before, but your recipe with the cumin in it sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very good Susan and my favorite version of hummus.

    ReplyDelete