Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thai Sticky Rice and Mango

New friends gifted us a few weeks back with some Thai Sticky Rice.  Because both of them have been so kind to us, we invited them to dinner for  Pad Thai and Sticky Rice and Mango.  This was a first taste for me on the sticky rice.  After a lot of searching, I found many, many ways to prepare this rice for dessert.  It seems that it is a favorite Thai dessert.  I now can understand why.

I probably took the easiest way to prepare the dish after watching a Thai mother and her daughter on a video.  If you are truly interested in preparing this lovely dessert, I would suggest you watch also.

Thai Food Tonight

Thai Sticky Rice
2 cups of sweet rice (sticky rice)
1 cup sugar
1/2 can (13.5 ounces) of coconut milk
1 or 2 ripe mangoes

Cream Sauce
1/2 can (13.5 ounces) of coconut milk
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cornstarch

Rinse the rice.  Soak it in water for 30 minutes.  Drain some of the water, leave 1/4 inch of water remaining on top of the rice.

Cover container and microwave on high for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes check the rice and see if it is still crunchy.  If not tender, turn it over in the pot and microwave 2-4 more minutes.

Mix 1 cup sugar and 1/2 can of coconut milk and stir until sugar dissolves.  Pour this sauce over the cooked rice and coat completely.  Cover and let stand for 20 minutes and serve at room temperature.

Slice mangoes into bite size pieces and serve with the sweet rice.

Cooking instructions for the Cream Sauce.

Mix sugar and remaining 1/2 can of coconut milk and stir until sugar dissolves.  Add salt and cornstarch and put all ingredients into a saucepan.  Stir well.  Cook over low heat and stir constantly until just boiling, then turn off the heat.  Let cool.

When ready to serve place the sticky rice in the center of a plate, surround with mango slices and drizzle the cream sauce over the top.  Serves 6 easily.

The sticky rice can be found in Oriental Markets or on Amazon.  

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum. This is one of my favorite desserts but I've never tried making it at home. Its amazing how delicious mango is with the sticky rice. Thanks for the recipe, Susan. I'll be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Susan. I've not only never attempted sticky rice, I don't recall ever tasting it. Glad you are enjoying your new area.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't something I've ever made, though I've enjoyed it in our local Thai restaurant. This version sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks good, Susan! I've never eaten sticky rice. I see it in the stores around here and now it's a must try. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness, Susan. This is one of my favorite desserts ever! We get it at a little hole in the wall Thai spot. I go to get to the sticky rice and mango! LOL! Thank you so much for sharing. I may get brave one of these days and give it a go. thank you! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had this, but I have no doubt it would be extra delicious... like a nice rice pudding. Mango and coconut are a perfect pairing.

    ReplyDelete