Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Arizona Lemons

What I am finding is that Arizona is ripe with citrus and that the people are so friendly and sharing that we are getting a lot more citrus than was ever available for us in Florida.  I have frozen a lot of lemon cubes which end up being dropped in our ice water each day.  Lemons bars have been baked and now, lemon curd has been lovingly stirred on the stove top.  I love it.  I eat it folded into plain Greek yogurt.  I eat it for breakfast and immediately start looking forward to my next breakfast.    I spread it on buttered toast or simply a spoon or two when I feel like it, right out of the jar.  It is delicious and does not really need a pie shell to make its presence known.  But, you could put it into a tart shell or eat as pie.

This is a simple Lemon Curd recipe that comes from Fine Cooking Magazine.  

Lemon Curd
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon rind

In large bowl, beat butter and sugar for 2 minutes.   Slowly add egss and yolks.  Beat for 1 minute.  Mix in juice.  It will look curdled, but will smooth out as it cooks.

In medium saucepan, cook mixture over low heat until it looks smooth.  Increase heat to medium and cook stirring constantly until thickened, about 15 minutes.  Do Not Boil.  Remove from heat and add zest.  Transfer to a bowl.  Place plastic wrap on top and place into refrigerator.  It thickens as it cools.  Cover tightly and will keep 1 week in refrigerator and in freezer 2 months.






11 comments:

  1. Oh Susan - luck lemony you!! I loved this post and your enjoyment of these lemons you can go out and pick for yourself. I can see that I'm just going to have to get myself to a place where lemons grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think lemons bring so much flavor to everything. I've never made homemade lemon curd, but it sounds delightful. I must try your idea of freezing lemon juice in ice cube trays too. Glad you're back to blogging. I've missed you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! to see your comment this morning AND then to see a post!! So glad you are enjoying AZ. Friendly people make a for a nice place to be! Hope you will be back soon! I've missed you. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you'll just send some of those lemons our way, it would be very much appreciated. ;)

    Love having lemon juice ready and frozen in cubes especially when I need a little zing in a recipe like my chicken and rice soup (a Greek gentleman taught me that). And lemon curd_ my favorite!!

    Hope all is well with you guys. Still working on the "list" of things to do here, but in a few months hope to be done. Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon curd is one of my favorite desserts. I love it folded into whipped cream - my grandmother used to call it angel pie. Lucky you to have friends and neighbors who share their crop. It sounds like you are loving your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your lemon cube idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so lucky! I love the idea of the lemon ice cubes and also mixing lemon curd into plain Greek yogurt for breakfast. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lemon IS my chocolate. My new lemon tree is still quite young, but I hope it will thrive and give me lemons like those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, your lemon curd is the best!!! Keep it coming!!! Loved it on that pound cake you made! MMMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemons, lemons, lemons....I am overflowing! I also have lemon cubes and have made lemon bars and lemon yogurt cake....that doesn't even make a dent. I have never made lemon curd. Looks as though I need to get with it. It sounds so yummy and I do love lemon meringue pie... I like your idea of mixing it in with yogurt. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete