Sunday, November 9, 2014

Arizona--we are home!!

The scenery is just a little different.  The entire atmosphere is much more pleasant and the sunshine, the dry air and the beautiful blooming plants and cacti are remarkable.  It has turned into a drawn out affair, but we have finally arrived at our final destination....we are loving Arizona.

Leaving a rental house in Florida proved to not be so simple.  When the movers packed us up, they even packed the weed whacker.  Not something needed here in the SW since grass is not a necessity here.  We have plenty of green though.  As we drive through our new city, I am sometimes amazed at all the vibrant green colors seen.  Yes, the homes are the Santa Barbara/Tuscan style which are brown, tan and Arizona white in colors, but the vegetation surrounding the homes is quite lovely. 

 Several big changes in this part of our country as we adjust.  Most noticeable first of all, there is not a monopoly on the grocery stores.  We have quite a few varieties to choose from within a short distance of our home.  Prices vary and we can pick and choose as we wish.  This is making shopping the ads much more of a part-time occupation, but a fun change.

We also found an Italian deli, a huge Oriental market and several meat markets that have expensive prices for those having no budgets. 

I love to see the produce sections of the stores with all the numerous chilies available.  Will really need to research recipes a little more to make use of what is available here.

The art fairs we have attended have left me speechless.  There is so much talent in this part of the world.  Top class artistic talent.  I am so amazed.  It has been difficult restraining our buying of this individual art.  We need to adjust to our home first and know what we really, really need.  I even bought a beautiful tablecloth from Provence from a French speaking woman.  Did not have to travel far for this.  Amazing!!

I can't end this posting without mentioning the great friends we have here in Arizona.  I know many of you  know that my dear friend from Kindergarten through high school graduation lives near us.  Reconnecting with David has been an absolute thrill and every time we see each other, after a big hug, one of us will say "I can't believe we/you are here!"  It is like family....he knows exactly how I grew up, who I grew up with and why I am who I am. 

I want to end on a pleasant note.  So many of you commented earlier in the year when I told you that my 9 year old granddaughter, Rachel, had been diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I thank you all for your kind words and prayers.  Even my blogger friend, Mary, from One Perfect Bite had her son's church pray for Rachel.  The news is good.  After 6 months of twice a month injections, Rachel has gone into remission.  She will still be carefully watched for 18 months, continue the twice a month injections and then be reevaluated at that time for slow withdrawal from the drug.  She is feeling well and we are so grateful for her progress.  She turned 10 in July and this is starting out to be a very good year for her.  Thank you for all your concerns and prayers. 

17 comments:

  1. What great news on your granddaughter! I've never left the hometown I was raised in. Making that dramatic of a move would be a real adjustment for me. Have fun learning your new neighborhood-- and how wonderful to have a childhood friend to enjoy it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby. We have moved 11 times and this time we had some breakage of sentimental things. Just things...sigh. My last move. Amen.

      Delete
  2. So happy you're getting settled Susan. There's something so fun about discovering a whole new area of the country, especially all the unique culinary specialities. It's wonderful news about your granddaughter too, it makes me so sad to think of a young person suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments. This is an exciting time for us all.

      Delete
  3. Happy to hear that your granddaughter is doing better. I hope that it stays in remission....great news. My husband's family is from AZ....I have always enjoyed visiting the area! Congratulations on the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. Rachel has proved to be a very strong young lady. We are very proud of her.

      Delete
  4. Good luck in your new home Susan. The desert can be a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all I'm so glad you are settled and love your new home town and of course, I am relieved and pleased to hear Rachael is in remission. Sounds like all good things for you and your family.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you are finding Arizona to be the right place for you. I can imagine that moving is not an easy task at our age. LOL. It is good news about Rachel also. I wish her continued good health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Susan, I'm so happy you are finally settled and are enjoying your new home. It's been a long time coming. Great news about Rachael. I hope your whole family enjoys a wonderful year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Susan, I am so glad to hear the good news about your granddaughter.....Such good news!
    And thrilled to see something from your blog. It's wonderful having a new environment to explore and discover. And surely the dry air is good for you and the Trout.......Let us hear more! (I love French fabric.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish we could travel South for winter, how I hate the cold though it is better here in France than it is in the UK. You say you have moved 11 times. Since leaving Rhodesia we have moved 10 times with 4 different country changes as well. Five moves back I said we were never moving again! This time is for sure, I only move out of here in a box!

    Great to hear that Rachel is in remission, I hope it stays that way.

    Keep well the two of you. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the best for ur new home

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent news on Rachel! I am so happy for her... and all of you. I know you would have taken her place in a heartbeat.

    Sounds like Arizona is suiting the two of you splendidly!! That is so wonderful. Loving your home and the area you live is a very, very good thing. ;) blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it there in the winter. I'm glad you are happy there. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted to wish you and The Trout a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! All the best to you, dear Susan. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete