Friday, May 9, 2014

It's a long way from here.....

We enjoyed staying in the Phoenix area for the entire month of April.  We had a lovely rental home in a resort community and became totally absorbed in everything that was going on.  In the 30 days spent there, The Trout and I only ate at home, alone 3 nights.  Too much excitement for you...we thoroughly enjoyed all the great people we met and because of previous visits there, we now consider them friends.

We also connected with a second cousin of mine that I had never met, The Trout's college friend and usher in our wedding and his dear wife, The Trout's nephew, Dan,  my friend for 65 years (from kindergarten), had dinner with dear friends from our Wisconsin wine group, a 4 wheel ride into the desert with a friend whom I knew in my small hometown in Iowa, music concerts, singing concerts, even a Cinco de Mayo party complete with Mariachi band.  Well, no need to continue.  We loved it all and have never felt so welcomed anywhere before.


Desert Botanical Gardens
Dale Chihuly glass sculpture


Saguaro cactus 



Friend Bill, with hermit Jim Fox
Jim lives in the desert by choice
Very smart and interesting man



Lake Pleasant, northwest of Phoenix
An oasis in the desert


Authentic Mariachi band for Cinco de Mayo


The variety of things to see and do in Arizona is unbelievable.  In only a couple of hours you can be in the snow of northern Arizona or south into Mexico.  And yes, it is so much closer to Montana where we still spend our summers.  And yes, you guessed it....we bought a home in Arizona and even though we close on the home in mid June, we will officially move there after our Montana summer in October.  Are we excited...you can only imagine.  We will be in Goodyear, Arizona, at PebbleCreek.  We will be further from our children and grandchildren, but that is what airplanes are for; to get you where you need to go in a hurry.  We are now in the fall of our lives and the need to be happy and enjoy life is so important right now.  Besides, I can only imagine what fun it will be blogging from Arizona and seeing all the wonderful sights there and sharing with you. 


20 comments:

  1. Blogger is playing tricks on me. I can only see the title but when you click on comments, the whole posting shows up. Will try to figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see the whole thing and so pleased for you and your new move. What a big change from Florida. But as you said, you guys fit right in and that's wonderful plus you already have a lot of friends. Have fun in the desert.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a big change, Sam, but we are very excited about the move. I have a good feeling about this.

      Delete
  3. I sounds like you have a very happy life ahead, Susan. You are moving to a spectacular part of the country and will be surrounded by friends and family. I'm so happy for you and Dale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. We will also be closer to beautiful Oregon!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you did like it if you bought a home - congrats. We're considering a western trip this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, we will be so much closer to Montana. Let us know if you are in the neighborhood.

      Delete
  5. How exciting Susan! We're headed to Arizona in June to visit my sister. Love it there, such a wonderful variety of landscapes in one state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. We have learned to love the area very slowly. We thought we'd miss the grass, but not mowing the lawn is not that bad!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow big changes good thing your planning not to be there in the summer. I think I am hot they have us beat!! Enjoy which you will do, no doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Susan! Arizona is great and living there sounds great also, esp. with all those friends. Here's wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. I think I am most excited about learning what to do with all those chili peppers.

      Delete
  8. We've spent many wonderful Easter vacations with our daughters in Scottsdale and have been to several of those places along with many other fun adventures. I'm sure your children and grandchildren will love coming to visit you in Arizona! Best of luck on your move.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to click on the title and then could read the whole post. I'm delighted to hear about your time in Phoenix. I was only there once in the summer of '95. We were on a family trip out west to the National Parks and my nephew was working in Phoenix for a short time.We loved the Desert Botanical Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan!
    What a marvelous trip! And you're going to make it your home as well. That is so exciting. Keep us posted on everything...as fun as it will be, I found moving way more difficult than I remembered, although you sure get those closets cleaned out!
    Chihuly is one of my favorite artists. We're fortunate in Florida to have several permanent displays of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for you Susan. Change is a good thing and Arizona sounds like it suits you just fine. Look forward to hearing about your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Susan! I am so happy for you, as it sounds as though you've found a perfect balance. We have friends who live in Arizona from October through April and they are always after us to come down - so many of our friends have bought places in resorts there. Perhaps one winter week we'll finally get down there and out of the west coast rain! Best of luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your new venture! How exciting. I have to admit I always preferred Arizona to Florida - so much more diversity. Love to visit Florida, but I think Arizona would be more interesting to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What excitement ahead! A big move but sounds as though you will be having lots of fun visiting friends and exploring!! My husband's family is from the Scottsdale and Phoenix area, they love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope this little glitch will not stop you from blogging!

    ReplyDelete