Thursday, May 8, 2014

Grilled Chicken and Asparagus Salad

Surprisingly, I am back again, so soon.  We had another salad last evening that was so fresh and tasty and different, I wanted to share it before it became a memory.  But, this one is also going into the serve again file because it was that good.

Grilled Chicken-Asparagus Salad is courtesy of the May 2014 issue of Southern Living.  The Trout grilled the chicken breasts and asparagus while I made the dressing.  The asparagus were so fresh and so crisp and tasty....I love asparagus.



Grilled Chicken-Asparagus Salad
  courtesy of Southern Living magazine

1 1/2 lbs. skinned and boned chicken breasts
6 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
2 lbs. asparagus, trimmed
4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. buttermilk
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
2 tsp. chopped fresh dill

Sprinkle chicken breasts with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Grill chicken until done.  Let stand 10 minutes and then cube or chop into pieces.

Toss asparagus with oil and grill until slightly cooked and still crispy.  Cut asparagus into 2 inch pieces.

Toss together, chicken, asparagus, goat cheese, shallots, salt and pepper.

Whisk together mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients.  Add 2 Tbsp. oil and salt.  Drizzle over chicken mixture.  Top with the herbs.

I sort of jumped into this salad when The Trout realized I had forgotten to add the goat cheese.  What a difference that made!!  The goat cheese made the asparagus so much creamier and mellowed the whole salad in a very nice way.  Do not eliminate the goat cheese.  I know of one particular blogger friend that will not touch goat cheese.  Debby, I was that way once also.  But, it was the greatest discovery I have made on the cheese selection front.  Enjoy this salad.  I know we did.


9 comments:

  1. It looks so delicious!!! Oh, I know what I'm having for supper now!

    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds right up my alley. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who forgets an ingredient :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good Susan - nice use for the asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about how you guys cook together. F.U.N.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! We have a some great cheese makers around here and I love goat cheese from Lake Erie Creamery.....Also, I love to eat salad, especially now that it's getting warm again! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    It is noticeable that there is a great number of tasty recipes on your site and we would like to suggest you to have a look at the Top Food Blog section on our site, the www.mytaste.com

    MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility on the web and share/save recipes. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000 visitors from us on a weekly basis.

    To add your blog to the Top Food Blog list just follow the link http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog


    If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us at
    info@mytaste.com

    Kind regards
    -ricky

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't beat Southern Living for great recipe inspiration! Your salad sounds terrific! I won't forget the goat cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious Susan. Healthy too. My best to you and the Trout.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Asparagus and goat cheese.... What more could one ask for... Ah, yeah, the chicken looks good too.

    ReplyDelete