Saturday, March 22, 2014

I actually made a roast!!

I feel as if I have crawled out of a deep hole.  As is usually the case, (SIGH), as I get older, the weight comes on faster and tends to stay a while.  Having always been quite slender, this is nonetheless very disturbing.  But, on the other hand, I am considered very healthy by the doctors, so it is what it is and I am finally willing to accept this fact of life.

Still, very little of any interest has been eaten in the last 8 weeks.  No bread, no desserts, and so forth.  You get the picture.  Both the Trout and I have lost some weight and we really do feel much better.  But tonight, it was time to start cooking again and we had a good time putting dinner on the table.

The Trout is always trolling for interesting recipes.  I spend time on Pinterest and find recipes that look interesting to me.  He won this round and I think it was a good choice.



Al Capone Roast
  found on Allrecipes

3 pounds flank steak, pounded thin for easy rolling
1/4 cup olive oil
Finely chopped black olives
1 cup minced fresh mushrooms
8 slices proscuitto
6 slices mortadella
Several thin slices of mozzarella
10 slices pepperoni sausage
1 tablespoon fresh oregano or dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Rub the flank steak with olive oil on both sides.  Sprinkle the mushrooms and olives over the steak.  Place a layer or prosciutto, mortadella, mozzarella and then pepperoni.  Season with oregano and garlic salt.

Roll up the steak against the grain (long side toward you) and once again, coat the outside with olive oil.

Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat.  Sear the roast over the entire outside.  Leave the roast in the skillet and place it in the oven.

Roast for 1 hour or until the internal temperature in the center of the roast reaches 160 degrees.  Let rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.  In total honesty, I took the roast out after 45 minutes and let it rest for 10 minutes.  It has a medium rare cast towards the center which was perfect for us.  Yes, it could have roasted another 15 minutes in the oven.  But, I felt it was still quite perfect this way.  Actually, quite delicious.

From what I have read, the Al Capone Roast is pretty normal table fare in the Boston area.  As I understand, you can go into a butcher and buy it all prepared for the oven.  I have not quite figured out why Boston is the city that celebrates this "well known man," but that is what I have read.  


So many of you kind, dear friends have been asking about our granddaughter, Rachel.  She was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in January. Today she received her 8th injection of the drug Actemra, and I am pleased to report, she is doing quite well.  The last few weeks have not been without incidence.   The rash and pain and sleeplessness have been there, but overall, Rachel is doing quite well.  Even though I am not near her, my contact with Rachel over phone calls tells me she has matured quite a bit.  She always thanks me for my support.  Bless you little girl.   We have to be grateful for all the doctors and scientists out there producing these medicines for all of us.  We are living in a generation where anything is possible.

Thank you to all of you for your concern and caring and prayers. 
 

13 comments:

  1. I haven't made anything like this beautiful roast in a long time. Oh my, it does look delicious. Flank steak is one of my favorite cuts of beef. Thanks for the update about Rachael. I'm so happy her treatment is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with weight and aging, it gets harder and harder. And then because of the horrible weather, I haven't been to the gym lately and will have to go soon, more snow Monday. The roast sounds delicious, I love love beef, but we seldom eat it now. Good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good Susan. We made it a couple of weeks ago and loved it -http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/2014/03/al-capone-roast.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I am so pleased with Rachael's progress and happy her treatment is going well. Children just amaze me with their strength and courage.

    Your roast looks like the perfect dish to celebrate a successful diet. Age and weight seem to go together & weight is very hard to get off as you get older. Men seem to have it easier time losing weight than women. It crept up on me several years ago and it took a while, but I finally lost 20 pounds. Now we go faithfully to the gym and try to watch how much we eat and that seems to help.

    So glad you're back to blogging. I think I can speak for all of us and say that we've really missed you both.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear your granddaughter is doing well! I've never heard of Al Capone roast... it sure does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that Rachel is doing well. She has been in my thoughts since your post about her condition. My Granddaughter is named Rachel too and our precious grand kids deserve good health and happiness.

    Your roast looks delicious. I was just thinking of getting a flank steak at the store today. Enjoying this Florida sunshine for one more week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to read the report on Rachel!

    I pinned that same roast after Larry made it and showed it on his blog. Yours does look perfectly done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your roast really rocks! It is beautiful. I am feeling inspired.

    Glad to know Rachel is doing well.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three things:

    First, I am very happy to hear Rachel is responding well to the new medication. She is such a brave and strong young lady. So quickly they grow up... even more so when facing such challenges. She will remain in my prayers.

    Second, it was a treat to hear from you. I have missed you. Mercy me on the weight thing. I am really not a fan of having to restrain myself. LOL! But, more and more it seems I need to make the effort.

    And last, Al Capone roast looks like it IS a winner! I am going to have to give that one a try (minus the olives). Evan will think he has died and gone to heaven. LOL! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, this roast doesn't only look delicious, I can tell by the ingredients that this recipe is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fantastic Susan! I love all the ingredients and the way they're combined. Sounds like a wonderful dinner. And bravo to you for sticking with the plan and loosing weight!
    Glad to hear Rachel is doing better too. It's so sad to think of a young person in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thrilled you are enjoying cooking (and eating) again, and also that you have lost weight, and the Trout too, and are feeling better.

    And most of all I'm glad that Rachel is doing well with her treatments. She is such a beautiful looking little girl from your photo.

    And also, so happy to see a blog post from you. May you all be well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make something similar using a pork tenderloin.... Works better when it's for two LOL Besides, we can't get flank steak. Glad your granddaughter is doing well.

    ReplyDelete