Friday, January 17, 2014

Mini Greek Lamb Burgers

The Trout and I usually plan our menu for the week on the weekends before we head to the markets.  I had this taste for lamb burgers which I truly love and have not eaten in quite a while.  We have two recipes we have made several times, but I was on the prowl for a new one.  I found one from Martha Stewart and it tasted really, really good.  I will make it again, but with a few changes.


I like the fact that the mini burgers are placed into pita bread halves.  I will add some fresh mint to the lamb itself next time.  The combination of the fresh parsley and oregano from our garden was perfect, but since I put mint in the Tzatziki sauce, I thought it could also go into the meat mixture.

We are finding ground lamb more and more in our supermarkets.  This was prepacked and sealed and the label actually said it was from Franklin, Wisconsin.  American raised lamb from a great state.  So prefer this over lamb that has traveled from New Zealand.  Pricey....kind of.  This was $7.99 a pound.  I only used one pound and added all the ingredients as if it was 1 1/2 pounds as the recipe calls for.  I got 8 mini lamb burgers for $8.  It served the two of us and there is enough left over for lunch.  Enjoy, because I know we loved this special treat.

Mini Greek Lamb Burgers
Courtesy of Martha Stewart

For Tzatziki Sauce:

1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated  (I used a regular cuke)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
1 small garlic clove, minced
Salt and Pepper

In a medium bowl, combine cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, mint and garlic, season with salt and pepper.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Lamb Burgers:

1 1/2 pounds ground lamb (see my notes above about using 1 pound)
1/2 small onion, minced (1/4 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
Salt and Pepper

4 pieces of pita bread, 6 inches each
Sliced or chopped Roma tomatoes

In a medium bowl combine lamb, onion, parsley and oregano.  Season with salt and pepper.  Gently form into 16 small patties, about 3/4 inch thick.  (Out of my 1 pound of lamb, I formed 8 patties about 2 inches in diameter.)

Grill until medium rare, 2-3 minutes per side.  Can also use a grill pan indoors.

Warm the pitas on the grill or over a gas burner, turning occasionally.  Halve the pitas and fill with each half with 2 burgers, tomato and tzatziki.  Delicious.

12 comments:

  1. We grab ground lamb when we see it and enjoy a burger too. I like how the tzatziki sauce lightens the bit of heaviness of the lamb.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamb is a specialty on this and other Gulf Islands. I will usually order a lamb burger in a burger restaurant, because I know that the lamb is local. I've never made lamb burgers at home, but with this recipe I may just give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you EVER get to East Texas, we will have to get you to What About KaBobs for a gyro. Homemade pitas... lamb... amazing spicing... You can tell I'm on a diet... Your wonderful recipe triggered all kind of associations... the strongest being the fastest place I could find something similar! LOL! I know yours were better! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great looking meal Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious ideas! I eat a lot of lamb, chops and my mother's recipe (as I remember it) for curried lamb which we always had to use up the leftovers of leg of lamb. But this is different from the usual way I use it and I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought I didn't like lamb but I'm enjoying it more and more. These little burgers sound wonderful. I love all the flavors you got going on here with the fresh herbs, lemon and garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this combination of flavors and would like to have a few meatballs in the freezer for quick and easy dinners. I will soon be able to buy ground lamb at my farmers' market. Looking forward to trying this, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a huge fan of lamb, but I have to say, these look mouth watering good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried Siggi's yoghurt? It's my new favorite, a method from Iceland, very tangy......I'm using that in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to look for this ground lamb. I wonder, did you find it at Publix? I like the whole recipe. Thanks Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen lamb mince for sale, but no reason why I cannot mince my own. These sound an interesting change, Thanks. Have a good weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bill loves lamb and this would be a delicious way to give him his fill! These patties look so yummy in the pita pockets.
    PS...bet you're not missing the Iowa winters this year!!!

    ReplyDelete