Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Snickerdoodle Muffins

Oh yes, they smell as good as they look!!  My blogger friend, Chris, at Café Sucré Farine seems to pull the most amazing recipes out of the air.  This muffin recipe is no exception.  With grandsons coming this next week, I put these into the freezer immediately, because when it comes to cinnamon, I have no self-control.  But, I can almost guarantee you, they are delicious.  I hope you will check Chris' blog, stay there a while and find a recipe or two to try.

Snickerdoodle Muffins with Doodlesnicker Butter
  from the recipe file of Café Sucré Farine


Cinnamon/Sugar mixture
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Muffin Batter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 stick butter, softened for the Doodlesnicker Butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine the first 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.  Mix well to combine and set aside.

Spray 12 muffin pan cups liberally with cooking spray.  Using your index finger wrapped with a paper towel, rub inner surfaces of muffin cups to ensure complete coverage.  Sprinkle approximately 1 teaspoon of the sugar/cinnamon mixture into each muffin cup.  Holding the pan over the sink, tilt the pan in all directions to coat each sup with the sugar cinnamon mixture.  When cups are coated, discard any loose sugar into the sink.

Beat butter and sugar.  Add egg and beat well.  Combine milk and sour cream.  Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk mixture, beating just until combined.

Spoon by rounded teaspoons into greased muffin cups, sprinkling 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture over each teaspoon full.  For me, it took about 4 teaspoons of dough to fill each cup and use up all the dough.  Continue until each muffin cup is 2/3 full.  Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the sugar mixture over the top of each muffin.  Reserve the rest of the sugar for the Doodlesnicker Butter.  (You should have approx. 1/4 cup left.)

Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.  Reduce heat to 325 degrees and continue to bake another 10-15 minutes until springy when gently touched on top.  (This initial burst of heat helps the muffins rise tall and round.)

Remove from oven.  Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes and then remove and place on a cooling rack.

Doodlesnicker Butter

Place remaining sugar in a microwave-safe bowl.

Add 2 teaspoons of the butter and microwave on high for 10-20 seconds or until butter is melted.  Remove from microwave and stir to combine.  Mixture should be like a thick paste.

Allow to cool then add to softened butter, swirling through butter just a bit.  Serve at room temperature with the muffins.

I was happy to see that this recipe called for nutmeg.  Nutmeg was my mother's favorite spice.  She used it in dumpling soups and whenever she had an excuse to try it in something new.  This is her nutmeg grater which is probably close to 50 years old, if not older.  I can almost guarantee, you have not smelled nutmeg the way it should smell until you grate it yourself.  The whole nutmegs can be ordered because I find them harder to find in the spice aisle of your local grocer.  That little lid on top holds the one nutmeg that you are currently grating.  It even has a place to hang on the wall.  

14 comments:

  1. These sound great. I've made strawberry muffins & blueberry muffins for my grandbabies this week. I'm going to make these next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandson's will you for having prepared these for them. Its interesting that you grate your own nutmeg. I do too and it is SO much better than the powdered stuff. How fun that you have your mom's grater. I have several different graters, but lately I've been using a rasp and have been pleased with the results. Love a bit of nutmeg in mashed potatoes too.

    Merry Christmas to you and the Trout.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I do believe I can smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love that name -Snickerdoodle - sounds so fun!
    Susan, a very happy Christmas to you and Dale and all your family!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lucky grandsons! Anything Snickerdoodle is sure to be a winner and I'd love to have one of these right now.
    A very Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cinnamon and nutmeg are a wonderful Christmas pairing for muffins. I think I can smell them :)

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If our grandchildren were coming, I would definitely make these. And no, I won't do it for just Pete and me. ;)

    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Susan! and may the New Year be healthy and bring you much joy for you and Dale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to pull these from the oven! They contain my favorite spices--nothing like freshly grated nutmeg!

    Wish you and your loved ones a very merry Christmas and a healthy and happy new year.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The grandkids will love these. I think I am getting a nutmeg grater for Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and the Trout Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my! This might not have been good to discover two days before restrictions are to be enforced. ;) Wishing you and yours all the very best 2014 has to offer, Susan! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Susan, for your kind words. I'm just now catching up on my blogging friends as we've been in England with the family. With 5 little ones now, there's not much time for blogging when we're here :) I'm so happy you enjoyed these. We loved them. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Wishing you a happy and blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I could put a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar on just about anything and my kids would like it. And it smells so good when its baking. I agree that Chris's recipes are so good. Happy 2014, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know Susan, I'm not much of a muffin maker, likely because I show no restraint in eating them. 12 muffins in two days is my likely scenario. I do like your idea of tossing them in the freezer, keeping them at bay, until later. Ah, who am I kidding;I'd have to hide the microwave to make that plan work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, you can't beat Chris's recipes...and these muffins are no exception! They'd be a hit at my house, too. Happy New Year, Susan!

    ReplyDelete