Friday, December 6, 2013

Cookies using the best vanilla ever

It's like I have been lost somewhere, but I am back today!!  A lot of knitting and planning have been going on.  Daughter number 2 and family will be here for Christmas for a couple of days, so have been planning some meals for that occasion.  I also have had a deep desire to bake some cookies.  Not many for the two of us, but since family is coming, I do want to have some on hand.

I have been intrigued by the cookie "Melting Moments."  It has got to be one of the easiest cookies I have ever attempted.  It also might rank right up there at the top of the BEST list.  I noticed the recipe on The View From Great Island during some searching and then I found that many, many people have the same recipe, only different.  It also seemed to be a recipe that is quite popular in UK posts.  Many people have added their special "calling card" to the recipe and I can see how that is entirely possible. 

I added my own twist to this recipe, adding an addition of Singing Dog Vanilla  paste which was given to me by the gracious owner of Singing Dog Vanilla this summer.  I have been looking for a good recipe for using the vanilla paste, and this frosting does take it over the top.  Yes, Singing Dog Vanilla, I am planning on vanilla ice cream with your luscious liquid paste very soon.


I want to show you the plate I have my cookies on.  It was designed and made by my friend Stephen Nathan of Casa Indianola Creations in Goodyear, Arizona.  I love bringing it out at Christmas and serving the best of the best cookies on it.  Thank you Steve, for your talent.

Melting Moments
Inspired by The View from Great Island

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Blend together the soft butter, salt, sugar, cornstarch and flour until everything is well combined.  Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.  It is a soft dough and chilling makes it easier to handle.

Turn oven to 350 degrees.

Using a small spoon or scoop, roll balls of dough in your hand and set them on ungreased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes or until the bottoms are just turning light brown.  The tops will not brown.  Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes and then carefully remove to a cooling rack.  Let them cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:

At this point, you can either sprinkle with powdered sugar or frost.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon Singing Vanilla Bean Paste or 1 teaspoon very good vanilla extract
Cream or milk to thin
grated semi-sweet chocolate to garnish

Make the frosting by mixing the butter, sugar, vanilla paste and enough cream to make a spreadable frosting.  Do not let it get too thin.  Top with grated chocolate.

The use of cornstarch in the cookie makes for a light, meltaway cookie.  We enjoyed it last evening with a glass of Irish Creme after dinner.  The taste combination was just about perfect.  

This would be a perfect cookie for afternoon coffee or with a night glass or brandy after dinner.  I see no reason to limit this cookie to Christmas as it is so simple and quick to prepare.  Enjoy.




11 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I made these years ago. I don't remember them being called melting moments though. I am trying so hard not to bake this Christmas as it just the two of us and some friends and we are all trying to lose weight! I remember cookie swaps where I would make dozens of of different cookies.

    And good vanilla is absolutely necessary. Lovely plate.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I love a good frosted cookie and these look delicious, Susan. I agree with you about Singing Dog Vanilla Paste. It's one of my favorite products - a staple among my baking ingredients. It's fun to have special serving pieces to bring out at Christmas and love the plate your friend made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking cookies is a part of planning to welcome family for the holidays. You are the second person to mention vanilla paste. I can't believe I've never heard of it. The cookies sound delicious.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to use vanilla paste. I've kept my eye out for it, but haven't found it yet. Not being much of a baker I am grateful for your excellent instructions, especially regarding the cornstarch.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe I have to try, Susan! The last few years, I've said I'm not making many cookies, but then it doesn't seem normal, and end up making a ton, and giving them away. I've never heard of vanilla paste and will have to check it out! Love the plaste, perfect for your yummy cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made these and they are my favourite sort of cookie (after homemade gingersnaps!). I wonder if I can find the vanilla past up here. I'm heading to the Seattle area this evening and will ask around - or google first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't made Melting Moments in ages, Susan. You have inspired me. We used to love them. And I agree about vanilla bean paste; I use it constantly in place of vanilla. Fortunately, I can find a high quality brand at my market.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful plate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan I baked my cookies today - all day long in fact. But looking at your recipe I might just start all over again tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your time with family is going well Susan. I know they loved these cookies, they sound just wonderful, melt in your mouth wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope your time with family is going well Susan. I know they loved these cookies, they sound just wonderful, melt in your mouth wonderful!

    ReplyDelete