Monday, November 11, 2013

Very Easy Sandwich Buns

The Trout and and I were very fortunate to meet Cathy from Wives with Knives this summer, and have lunch in her home.  As I have been thinking about that delightful day this week, I have also been looking at Cathy's blog and finding all sorts of inspiration to cook and bake.

I have been getting into a "funk" about baking lately.  It is always the same.  I do not need the extra calories, etc., but I do enjoy baking, a lot.  So, this is my second "Cathy" recipe in the last week and I have one more just off stage waiting for some ingredients to arrive.  The first one will be posted very soon.  It also was a winner. 

For quite a few years now, we will grill a ground beef patty and eat it like a steak..without a bun.  But when I saw how Cathy and several other bloggers were raving about these 1 hour buns, I just had to try.  It is burgers for us tonight AND with a very beautiful bun!!

I love baking bread, but have not had such good luck with rolls, etc.  It is just my stubbornness as I figured out today.  I have always been guessing the temperature of the liquid I add to the yeast.  Not a good idea.  Today I used a thermometer and it worked beautifully.

I did not have any sesame seed or poppy seed, but experimented with freshly cracked black pepper, coarse salt, and caraway seed.

Homemade Sandwich Buns
  Shared from Cathy at Wives with Knives

Ingredients
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup butter
1 egg, room temperature
4 1/2 cups flour
1 package instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg yolk
Sesame and poppy seeds for sprinkling on top before baking

Instructions

Heat the milk, water, honey and butter until butter is melted.  Check temperature and let it cool to 120F.  Carefully beat in one egg.

Mix 2 cups of the flour, yeast,  and salt.  Mix into the milk mixture.  Stir in the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time.  Beat well after each addition.

When the dough pulls together, it will form a soft ball, turn it onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.  This should take about 5 minutes.  I used a stand mixer and beat with the paddle attachment then switched to the dough hook to knead.  Add a little more flour while mixing with the dough hook, a little at a time until dough is no longer sticky.

Divide the dough into 12-16 equal parts.  Use a kitchen scale to weigh the dough to make them come out even.  Small buns are about 2 3/4 ounces and a larger bun would be about 4 ounces.  Shape dough into smooth balls.  Flatten slightly and place on a silicone mat covered baking sheet.

Cover loosely with plastic film and allow to rise 30-40 minutes.  When buns are almost doubled bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes.

If desired, after buns have risen, brush tops with beaten egg yolk for a shiny glaze.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds or coarse salt before baking.  




9 comments:

  1. Looks good and there's nothing like homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've brought back great memories Susan. My mother made homemade buns and they were divine. I must try these, although we don't eat a burger with a bun very often either.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I agree all the way around with you on baking, calories, and homemade buns. We seldom eat a beef burger anymore, nor a bun, but these buns would be great with chicken burgers, etc. They're on my must make list! Wouldn't it be great to just bake everything and every time our hearts desire?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't baked bread or rolls for such a long time either. It seems we're always trying to watch what we eat during the week so we can splurge a little on the weekends. Cathy has such great recipes and I'm going to bookmark this and your tips!

    Thanks again for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot remember the last time I made bread rolls, time I got my act together, thanks for the recipe. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you enjoyed this recipe, Susan. I love baking bread but am conflicted about it because I always eat more than I should. They freeze nicely but it isn't the same as enjoying them right out of the oven. I was so happy we had the opportunity to meet and enjoy a meal together last summer. I'm hopeful that we can do it again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not ashamed to say I love home baked read. Fortunately, my men do too, and they're both thin. I've made this recipe a few times,and love it. Congrats on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These rolls look wonderful Susan, I've never tried the 1 hour method, will have to put this on my "list" :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catching up all the way back to the Thai Basil Beef and everything looks so good... as always!! Basil is one of my favorite herbs, but it can be persnickety about its growing spot!

    Your comment about the loving baked goods but knowing we don't need them resonates with my own dilemma with baking. Grrr... I've been thinking lately it is really a shame that the JOY of cooking is infringed on by the sniggling feeling that it is bad for us. THESE buns sound so good! And, like perfect "comfort food". ;) blessings and hugs ~ tanna
    ps yes, blogging friends ARE the best. ;)

    ReplyDelete