Monday, November 11, 2013

Cranberry Tangerine Chutney That is Just Perfect

It seems I am always a little late to the dance.  With Thanksgiving around the corner and me still having a bag of frozen cranberries in the freezer from last year, I decided to try something new.  I searched and found a recipe that was posted back in 2009.  This recipe, once again, comes from Wives with Knives, my friend Cathy's blog.  She said it was a recipe from her mother and is one of Cathy's most treasured recipes.

A chutney!  I have loved chutney since my first taste of Major Grey's Chutney, back in the 70's.  When our daughters were young, I used to bake fruit with curry for a Thanksgiving side dish.  They never liked it, where the Trout and I loved it!



Cranberry Tangerine Chutney
  Shared with permission from Cathy at Wives with Knives 

3 cups fresh cranberries
1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
3 Tbsp. candied ginger, chopped
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp curry powder (don't skimp...this is what makes it a chutney)
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 cans mandarin orange slices, drained

Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  This keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator and will easily form a seal if poured, very hot, into small decorative jelly jars.  This filled about 4 jelly jars for me.

We have eaten on pork, chicken, mixed with cream cheese on a bagel or toast and also by the spoonful out of the jar.  Yes, it is that good!  What a beautiful hostess gift this would be during the holidays.  Thank you, Cathy, for sharing such a treasured recipe.  


3 comments:

  1. Cathy always has the best recipes. How nice that it produced enough jars to share and besides, it's so pretty.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to my turkey sandwich after Thanksgiving dinner and always add a generous spoonful of this chutney to it. I'm very happy you enjoyed this very special recipe, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chutney, too... this looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete