Monday, October 14, 2013

Portabella Mushroom Soup and Settling back in

Good grief, Susan.  Are you really thinking of writing a post for your long neglected blog?  This is the conversation that has been going on in my head for the last week.  I am back home after being gone since mid June.  I am once again in comfortable, familiar surroundings, so it is easier to write.

We had a wonderful summer.  We visited with both daughters and their families while going north and then on the trip back home in September.  It is always good to see how our children and grandchildren are changing and growing.  Our oldest daughter has moved into a new home with her family.  It is always comforting to see a goal reached, an accomplishment achieved.  On the return trip south, visiting our other daughter and family, we were able to attend the baptism of our oldest grandchildren, Noah 16 and Josiah 14.  That was a blessing as these boys have grown into young men and have made this commitment on their own.

We also stopped in Iowa to see family and friends and I attended my 50th class reunion.  It was the best reunion ever.  We are finally old enough to enjoy each other, much the same when the majority of us started kindergarten together back in 1950.


We had our own "Field of Dreams," right here in the heartland of Iowa.

We also had a stop in Des Moines to see The Trout's sister.  That visit was a long time coming, but we are so glad we got to see Vera, niece Julia and her husband, and cousin Jenny.

We reached our travel trailer in Montana, unpacked, set up and then we headed further west.  To Oregon.  How I love that state.  We have not been there for quite a few years, but this time we had some real goals in mind.

So now, it is time to get into the kitchen again---not the tiny travel trailer kitchen, but a kitchen where I have all I need within reach and lots of room.  First on the menu--Portabella Mushroom Soup.

This soup has been a favorite of ours for a long time.  The problem is that I do not make it often enough.  I do not even remember where the recipe came from, but I am guessing Bon Appetit because that was always the bible for cooking in years past.



Portabella Mushroom Soup

1/4 cup unsalted butter
5 leeks, chopped (about 3 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped
10 oz. Portabella mushrooms (4 cups)
1/4 cup flour
3 cups chicken stock
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
4 tablespoons dry sherry
2 cups half and half
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Ground white or black pepper
Salt to taste

Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add leeks, onions and sauté 10 minutes.  Add mushrooms and sauté 5 minutes.  Reduce to low.  Add flour and cook until thick.  Gradually stir in stock and 2 tablespoons sherry.  Add thyme.  Reduce and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.  Stir in half and half.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir in pepper and remaining sherry.  Bring to a simmer and serve.  Serves 6-8

This soup is absolutely delicious.  I have an immersion blender, but we decided to not blend it, but enjoy the leeks, onions and mushrooms as they are.  I also used nice sized baby bellas that I picked up at Costco.  They seem to work better since they do not have so much of the black gills as the larger portabellas do.   Add some crusty bread and it is absolutely lovely.  Wish you were here. 




16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great summer, but it's always nice to get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are home Susan. David and I are heading back to Florida in November. Soup is in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,

    We are so happy to be back. Your soup sounds wonderful. We will make chili and lots of it -go to meals. Summers are good but so is Florida!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a great summer and you're home safely. Your soup sounds like the perfect homecoming dish and I always love sherry in soups.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home Susan! Your soup sounds wonderful as does your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good trip. Thanks for the soup recipe. It is still a little warm yet, but I am having this our next cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice welcome home soup to put on the table. It looks delicious! I miss Gourmet and the old Bon Apetit.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I wish I had been there for that, too, Susan! There is a little place eatery here that occasionally serves a cream of mushroom which is out of this world. I gorge myself on it. I'm sure your version is even better; and, since I'm suffering with a nasty cold compliments of my Little Men & Co., I think I will need to medicate myself with it. ;) So glad you had a wonderful summer and enjoyed many connections with family. I know seeing your grandsons' baptism was very special. Happy you are safely to your second nest and back to writing! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to have you back to blogging - I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I lost my first comment when signing in to google! But I wanted to say how happy I am to read a blog post from you and how fabulous this recipe sounds, Susan! We love mushroom soup and we love leek soup and I will be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're home - the soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home! Sounds like truly a fun summer...seeing family, traveling, your class reunion. And your mushroom soup sounds phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You covered a lot of territory over the summer, Susan. I bet you are happy to be back in your own kitchen. I love that picture of you and your classmates in the corn field. OMG, that soup looks fantastic. I bet the smell of it simmering is out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just enjoyed my 40th HS reunion, and hope to enjoy my 50th. Cream of mushroom soup is my #1 favorite soup, in the whole wide world! Glad you had a great summer, and boy, do I understand what it means to neglect a blog. Glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan, now that sounds like a wonderful summer. I love the shots of your school friends in the corn field. Here's to many more 'field' trips and a big thank you for such an awesome soup recipe. I have a bag of chanterelles looking for a soup recipe, hopefully the Portebellos won't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you're home safely, Susan and that you had a great summer! Love the corn field photo and the soup too! Anything with portabella's is a go for me!

    ReplyDelete