Saturday, August 10, 2013

Blizzard in August!

One of my favorite Montana trout streams is the BIG HOLE RIVER that runs for miles south of our Maxville location - I like the area west of Wise River that was shown to me a few years ago by my now 91 year old fishing buddy, Louie.  It is a mostly placid stream with runs and riffles throughout  its length with a lot of scenic rock formations like the one above.  This stream is home to multiple mayfly, stonefly and caddis bug hatches from May to October as well as elk, moose, deer, antelope, bears, eagles and more.

Starting in July into October, the tiny but mighty "TRICO" hatches by the millions most days.  What looks like fog is actually swarms of the tiny critters who have just hatched and are awaiting to mate and fall into the stream to lay their eggs and provide lunch for the awaiting trout and whitefish.

This a close up of the hovering Tricos awaiting to fall to the water to lay their eggs and die.  Looks like snow flakes doesn't it?  This is the "blizzard" us trout fishermen refer to when a big hatch is on!


This is smallest mayfly we fish during the season.  Fishing during this time calls for patience till the bugs hatch, molt and fall into the stream.  Then we need to find the pods of rising and feeding trout to present our imitations to.

I usually use one of the flies above to try to imitate and entice the trout to rise and take my offering over the natural bug.  These are tied in size 18 although the natural is more like a size 20 or 22.  But sometimes, we can get away with a larger model with bright wings, so we can see the fly floating on the surface into the feeding lane of the trout and see the take in time to set the hook and experience one of the real thrills of fly fishing.  On the left is an "ADAMS" style in gray colors.  In the middle is a down wing spinner and on the right is the famous "PURPLE HAZE."  I have never seen a real purple colored mayfly, but it works none the less!!!

This is a 17" dandy rainbow that I fooled into taking my imitation.  He gave me a good tussle with some head shaking long runs that made my reel sing.  No horsing these fish, caught on small flies and light tippets.  I consider it a good day of fly fishing when I can fool a few of these beauties.  This fish was released, unharmed, to fight again.

Love the sport and the settings in which we find beautiful trout fishing!!  The Trout







17 comments:

  1. That is totally cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Can only imagine how delicious that fresh trout must be when you do keep some.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Montana is on my top 10 places I have to visit!
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like paradise except for the flies but it sounds like they have an important role to play. Have a wonderful finish to the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this tour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BRAVO! Thank you for the trout fishing tour. I keep thinking that might be the one kind of fishing I would like... and I'm imagining that fresh trout is pretty tasty! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been a great day. The fly fog might have given me pause, but I'd be all in for a trout to pan fry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those flies are amazingly abundant and looks like you've done an excellent job of replicating them. That's a fine looking meal you have laying there on the grass. I found Maxville on Google Earth and it looks like an excellent place to be spending time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beauty you caught. It's really lovely there. Now I understand why you go there in the summers. There's sure nothing like that around here.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Interesting! It's all new to me so thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your post, Dale. I have always seen fly fishing as a true gentleman's sport. I know there is a lot of skill involved, especially if you research and tie your own flies. I can imagine how enjoyable it is to be in such a beautiful place. Have you ever been caught in one of those Montana blizzards?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fascinating and I can see how fly fishing just lures you into the sport. (forgive the pun.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. that first photo is beautiful! I love the rock formation. My dad fishes but does not do fly fishing. So i guess he does bait?? I don't know it's been years. But I do love the nature your post was backed full with :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful site! not just the phenomena that occurs, but the area in which you chose to be. The peace and quiet of the surrounding, well, what's not to love.

    Sure do hope the air clears for you.

    PS: Pete and I think about you two!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I have never learned about fly fishing...or tried it....what a great sport. We are more "traditional" fishermen..we catch and release also...well, except for the 34 inch King Salmon that was just caught! Enjoy the time you have to spend in such a tranquil place.

    ReplyDelete